Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone got a LAB1000?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone got a LAB1000?
    Posted: 20 June 2007 at 11:48am
Has anyone here got a LAB.Gruppen LAB1000 amp? I've got one which I'm repairing at the moment and need to know something about its behaviour.

Other than the faults which I've already fixed, when you switch the amp off, the fans continue to run and slow down as the capacitors discharge (if this is normal, it seems like a good idea - keeps on cooling the amp) but I still get output (if I leave the gain up and keep feeding a signal in), which gradually degrades as the reservoir capacitors discharge. This seems a bit odd on a professional, high quality amp like this - I would've thought there should be some kind of muting circuit which kicks in when you switch the power off.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any kind of power up delay, but there aren't any bangs or thumps or anything, so maybe it doesn't need one.

I've got a service manual for it, but it's not particularly informative. Just parts lists, schematics and PCB layouts. Nothing like the detail which Crown, C-Audio and others put into theirs.

Can anyone shed any light on the lack of muting?

Cheers,

Wrighty
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 11:29am
im no expert but it sounds like the 'softstart' circuits gone (which delays output when turned on, and cuts its once powers off).

good idea with the fans using the capasitor charge if its meant to do that, surely after turning off an amp, it would get a heat spike from the thermal energy still inside and the lack of cooling?
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 4:48pm
Yeah, if I could work out which bit was the soft start from the schematic, I could check it! The service manual has zero description of how any of it works.

As you say, using the reservoir caps to make the fans run on is a good idea. I always let the amps run on after a gig anyway (with crossover muted), but an in-built system which is effective even if the mains plug is pulled is an excellent idea. There's quite a bit of energy stored in those caps too!
 Post Reply Post Reply