Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Apple G5 - still useful ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apple G5 - still useful ?
    Posted: 15 March 2013 at 1:23pm
So I inherited a dual 2GHz G5 machine. Got past the C19 power connector "problem", fired it up, installed fresh OS 10.5.8 and - well thats about it LOL.

Got to admire the engineering/design that went into these things .... lovely case/chassis.

But are they still of any real use ?

I'd have _thought_ the memory upgradeability to 16GB via cheap 2GB DDR2 might make it good for stuff where memory size (rather than CPU) is the factor/bottleneck - and you're looking for "on-the-cheap". Photoshop mebbe ? Logic ? .... and a 3-4 year-old version with Moto binaries does everything you need ....

Mebbe I'm just suffering from "lovely engineering - can't bear to throw it out" syndrome Confused

Suppose I'll mess with it for a while - then mebbe its just about worth ebaying ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 2:39pm
.. or hack it to death and put a pc inside of it 

Edited by mini-mad - 15 March 2013 at 2:39pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

.. or hack it to death and put a pc inside of it 

Yeah well - that'd be some hack to persuade ATX mobo and PSU into that case. Bet someone, somewhere's done it though LOL

Just had a look - seems like Adobe suite up to CS4 runs on Moto - and Logic Pro 9 (earlier revisions) can run as well ....

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 4:24pm
uATX board and a side mounted PSU?... easy enough ... wheres me dremal?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 4:26pm
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 6:22pm
hey

yeah probably still worth a go Smile

As with all macs, they're not made by a million different companies and so the software and drivers can be very well tailored to them, they don't need to be a catch all for every motherboard and chipset ever made like a PC does.

So they're much more targeted to the chipset and much better at squeezing every last drop of juice from it, and what may seem like a slow spec for a PC often still works surprisingly well in a Mac.

(Haha and btw, I actually prefer PC's not a mac fanboy at all and not wanting to dig up that argument! Tongue)

k
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 7:13pm
LOL .... and there's still room to keep a few chickens in there too.

Not the same without 8 DIMM slots though is it ?

Suppose some of that space could be used to fit a drive cage for RAID array etc.

These days I just like small/simple/basic/low power consumption.
Gone are the days when I had a full tower on the desk with multiple SCSI busses, 5 hard drives, loadsa optical, MO and tape drives etc. etc. Damn thing sounded like a 747 taking off when switched on LOL

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

(Haha and btw, I actually prefer PC's not a mac fanboy at all and not wanting to dig up that argument! Tongue)

Oh good Big smile

Not really a Mac user myself either .... no doubt there are some good things about Macs (and MacOS).

This G5 machine reminded me of the time - many moons ago - I was looking at the Apple website reading a long, defensive, load of stuff about how superior the G5 chips were cf the Intel chips - loadsa guff about pipelines and cache etc. ... plenty benchmark test graphs etc. .... and thinking Hmmmmm .....

Then a few months later Apple changed over to Intel CPUs LOL ...... AND it transpired that Apple had been developing MacOS X on Intel (in parallel, in secret) for YEARS LOL
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

Oh good Big smile

Not really a Mac user myself either .... no doubt there are some good things about Macs (and MacOS).

This G5 machine reminded me of the time - many moons ago - I was looking at the Apple website reading a long, defensive, load of stuff about how superior the G5 chips were cf the Intel chips - loadsa guff about pipelines and cache etc. ... plenty benchmark test graphs etc. .... and thinking Hmmmmm .....

Then a few months later Apple changed over to Intel CPUs LOL ...... AND it transpired that Apple had been developing MacOS X on Intel (in parallel, in secret) for YEARS LOL

Haha

yeah that was typical Apple all though the Steve Jobs era. Whatever they say they are not doing, they're almost always developing in secret. Then when they release it, they always try and find some tiny technical point so they can say that they haven't just copied all their competitors, they've done something "different" and better than the rest. LOL

k
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 7:50pm
OSX 10.5.8 works pretty well still.  I am finding that newer software is now starting to have 10.6 as a minimum requirement.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 12:43am
Non-intel Macs are pretty much useless, no current software will run on them, unless you want an old skool very stable pro-tools rig (Macs are junk now they are intel, hnece pro-tools is now PC not mac) I Have a couple of G5s to shift, but TBH I don't expect they will get much.

Mac is dead, they don't currently have a pro, high power platform, I've now binned Mac for 3 customers and gone Win7 as Mac don't offer a power user platform, the G5 was the golden age of Mac and IMHO still the way to run Pro-tools until you can afford a HP workstation.....

For day to day use you need Snow Lep, which is intel, so buy a board and make a Hackingtosh if you wanna play with that!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 12:53am
...which is where i was going... lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>