Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

April 1st Worries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April 1st Worries
    Posted: 01 April 2009 at 10:37am
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090401/twl-conficker-worm-digs-in-around-the-wo-2802f3e.html

Anyone hit by this ?

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
smithers View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:28am
nope, but i'm on a mac.
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:37am
Nope... mac here too :)
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:41am
Me three
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:45am
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by jonminns jonminns wrote:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2242

December 1st, 2008 

Apple:Mac Users should run Multiple Anti-Virus.

Wink

One thing I would say to PC users, is uninstall anything to do with Quicktime, and make sure your Adobe Acrobat Reader is patched to the hilt.Wink
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by jonminns jonminns wrote:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2242<h4>December 1st, 2008 </h4>Apple:Mac Users should run Multiple Anti-Virus.WinkOne thing I would say to PC users, is uninstall anything to do with Quicktime, and make sure your Adobe Acrobat Reader is patched to the hilt.Wink

ZDNet writers in shameless, unfounded link bait ad-click scamming articles shocker!

Note that nobody has said they're invincible or not open to attacks, just that they're not worried about the particular virus you've linked to warnings for. Context people!

Edited by toastyghost - 01 April 2009 at 12:25pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

ZDNet writers in shameless, unfounded link bait ad-click scamming articles shocker!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/12/apple_mac_users_should_get_ant.html

Apple: Mac Users Should Get Antivirus Software

In a notable shift, Apple is now recommending that Mac users install anti-virus software to help users secure their systems.

In a technical note quietly published to its support site on Nov. 21, Apple issued the following advice:

"Apple encourages the widespread use of multiple anti-virus utilities so that virus programmers have more than one application to circumvent, thus making the whole virus writing process more difficult."

Wink

The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 1:09pm
/me sighs.

http://gizmodo.com/5100996/false-alarm-apple-mac-os-x-anti+virus-recommendation-is-old

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 1:16pm

/me sighs.

http://gizmodo.com/5100996/false-alarm-apple-mac-os-x-anti+virus-recommendation-is-old

Yes, I agree Apple is no longer saying Macs need Antivirus.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/protectmacantivirus.html
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/virusbarrierx5.html
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 1:20pm
Advertising products is not saying that something is needed. And the article you linked to twice was from 2007.

Again, where have I said that Macs do not need an antivirus application? Where have you indicated that the Conficker worm is something that OS X users need to be concerned about?

Stop flamebaiting.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 1:35pm

Again, where have I said that Macs do not need an antivirus application? Where have you indicated that the Conficker worm is something that OS X users need to be concerned about?

Stop flamebaiting.

OK lets clarify few things here.

This thread was primarily for PC users, although who knows what Conficker authors are doing?

A poster before myself put up link showing Macs are actually suceptible to viruses/worms/attacks,as is every platform.

The link I put up primarily, was intended to inform that Apple do actually admit Macs are susceptible to attacks/malware. May seem to be stating the obvious, but some still believe they are invulnerable to any attack ever.

The last link was to show, that even if Apple removed the Nov 21 post from their website, they still actually suggest, offer, and maintain various antivirus utilites on their website.

Intention is to inform, not to cause contention.

Peace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>