Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are Funktion one starting to get lazy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Funktion one starting to get lazy?
    Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:02pm
Hi all 

We have a discussion going on a Danish Facebook group about what drivers the Funktion One Evo 6 is loaded with. 

A collegue recently had the task of changing a 10" mid driver in a Evo 6 box. When opening up the box the 1.4" driver was a generic off the shelf B&C driver DE820TN. He says that the box has never been opened before and that all drivers are original. I know that F1 uses OEM B&C drivers in the EVO series but the datasheet even says "Funktion One Designed drivers". Are all EVO boxed shipped with openly available B&C drivers or did a F1 guy forget to replace a sticker? Im saying that someone replaced the driver with a similar one but suddenly im not so shure. 

Pics for proof:

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:14pm
Of course they use off the shelf drivers. Almost everyone does.

Although this thread might not last long - nor may that guys' dealership unless you're careful with information and location…

Edited by toastyghost - 15 March 2017 at 6:15pm
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Of course they use off the shelf drivers. Almost everyone does.

Although this thread might not last long - nor may that guys' dealership unless you're careful with information and location…

I know that many do use of the shelf drivers, but normally the sticker is replaced or pealed off. If this is true i see no reason in ever paying 3x the price for the same driver if they even give you the model number and everything. 
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:12pm
Would you feel comfortable paying 3x the price just because they took the sticker off?!

If they haven't taken it off and you have direct access to cheaper pricing then there's no reason not to use it. Frankly I would prefer if more manufacturers did this, so you can use a local supplier or recone place rather than going via their HQ.
moyano View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:18pm
glorified wood smiths LOL
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:22pm

Would you feel comfortable paying 3x the price just because they took the sticker off?!

If they haven't taken it off and you have direct access to cheaper pricing then there's no reason not to use it. Frankly I would prefer if more manufacturers did this, so you can use a local supplier or recone place rather than going via their HQ.

I think it's great that drivers are easy to get a hold of. I have just never seen a F1 box with out F1 branded drivers and thought that some one ripped it for parts and cheated the owner. 

But it still looks bad that there is now proof for what we already know - a 5k box with 500 quid worth of speakers in it. 

spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

I think it's great that drivers are easy to get a hold of. I have just never seen a F1 box with out F1 branded drivers and thought that some one ripped it for parts and cheated the owner. 

But it still looks bad that there is now proof for what we already know - a 5k box with 500 quid worth of speakers in it. 

Ehhhh, yes and no. The cost of developing the moulds for that would have been very high
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 10:08pm
Recently sent back an industrial assembly for repair designed to operate in vacuum whilst heating to 900C and a few other features. Total cost of the entire thing is £60k new, weighs about 50kg so not a lot of parts as it is mostly solid metals. Speakers really don't cost that much in the scale of industrial tools. It's all a question of perspective. 

The exact same thing happens in semiconductors though, a lot of the times a tool may use a part available off the shelf from RS or Farnell if you know what you are looking for. In those cases it will often be at least 50% of the tool manufacturer price, and possibly even cheaper? Why, because they have to fund the supply chain and inventory storage of spare parts from the last 2 decades of various designs and multiple revisions of those designs an an as needed basis. It is all part of the business, same as in your typical car dealership the servicing will be a bigger profit center then selling the new vehicles.

Edited by odc04r - 15 March 2017 at 10:09pm
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 10:10pm
Yeah, and at 5k a box the development pennies would have been recouped in no time.

It's everything, not everythink!
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Yeah, and at 5k a box the development pennies would have been recouped in no time.

Developed many products have you?
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 11:17pm
I can just laugh at Funktion One, I think they will go bankrupt one day, I see stacks of res 5 being sold for pennies and also F121. Some guys I know ditched F1 and got some other stuff. I also see more people/event promoters choosing turbosound flash rather than F1.  I honestly think it's only a matter of time that F1 will put them selves out of the market. A few years ago they seemed very popular but now a days not really anymore. The bubble  bursted.
We need more SPL!
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 11:24pm
This may seem like a rant but I see owners of F1 with not a lot of knowledge, they just bought F1 because it's also cool to have a Ferrari for example. The BPH 'subs' sounds like shit and very monotone compared to a true sub like Lab horn or  l'acoustics KS28. It won't be very long before F1 gets ditched. 
We need more SPL!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>