Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are These Watson amps ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are These Watson amps ?
    Posted: 17 March 2012 at 4:41pm

Are these Watson amps There seems to be soem interest in these recently  Ive got 3 of them 2 are the same  with J56/K135 mosfets in them and one has all BUZ9xxD transistors in it
Are they worth trying to sell I was going to weigh them in  They do weigh a lot I can only just lift the biggest one the one with the top panel removed on the bench They all work but on one of them the fan is noisy  I wonder if the bits of wood on top of the heatsinks are original ?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 4:55pm
They look like the smaller brother of this Martin?

http://forum.speakerplans.com/watson-4k-heavy-duty-soundman-amplifier_topic64453.html

Presumably that piece of wood is to enclose the heatsink into a tunnel format?
Be seeing you.
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 5:26pm
dont weigh them in what ever you do, the one i had was a beast, still the best amp to date.
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 6:13pm
They are not Watson amps. Chris Watson could not design or conceive such. I do know the guy that did though. These will deffo have some other name on the PCB's. There was a breach of copyright which was not followed up. Better devices were conceived instead.

They are 2x 750 and 2x 1400. Made as one off's for a system. This would of been with a dedicated crossover.

Again both are very early units and would of been part of a system along with subs, mid/hi and a crossover. The sub will be very heavy. Circa 35Kg.

In the absense of nylon 66 to mount the 'live' heavy heatsinks hardwood was used. This was common in the '70's. Wood is a great insulator at these voltages and strong for the weight applied.

I should re-iterate; there are no 4K amps. There never was. You may wish to load at 2 ohms. You may get away with it. The original design ideas were 4ohms and very heavy duty for sub, hence mass devices. The very original engineering notes were for a 1K amp, which very quickly became 1200, then 1400.
Billy Dawg.
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 8:38pm
The one in the for sale section does look alot more heavy duty than the equivalent heavy one pictured above. Could it be the one above being an earlier one is a 1200w per channel and the one for sale a 1400 w per channel. The layout due to the different heatsinks being used looks alot better on the one for sale although on the one pictured above all the transistors are not visible. Your opinion please MB.
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 10:32pm
Malcolm Do you think these are worth sticking on Ebay  I cant be bothered trying to sell them for 99p though 
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 5:10am
MH out of the three you got which two are the same big or small? IMHO fleabay is always a last resort for selling gear. Normally you dont know who your dealing with and alot of crooks say they havent received goods and put in claims. Id stick them on here first and then if you have no joy then put them on fleabay. Im interested in one of the large amps so pm a decent price taking into account the case looks like it has seen better days and isnt as good condition as the one for sale.
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 11:29am
I have just opened up the one on the left of the 2 stacked on their ends
It is different again  with 20 OP devices on each channel K176 and J55`s   I guess these are worth selling seperatly as they appear to be Hitachi

The main PCB in this amp has MJB on it in copper  is that you Muckerbarnes ?
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 11:31am
Yes that is mucker alright, that will be one of the originals.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 12:13pm
Pic of the third one with MJB on circuit baord
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 1:07pm
If you´re selling those K176/J55´s, I´m interested. Have you checked if they´re ok?

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 1:12pm
I will let you know there is interest in the amps whole at the moment 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>