Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are w bins any good for kicks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are w bins any good for kicks?
    Posted: 30 May 2015 at 5:06pm
Hi all would double 15 loaded w bins be any good on top of X1 cabs for kicks I've found an old eminence plan and fancied building a pair to use for my kick section ?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 6:15pm
Yes.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:35pm
a w bin without vented backchamber, yes defo!
martin 115...
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:39pm
Hi Corell the plans show as a vented rear chamber will it bring vented really have that much of a detrimental effect on them being used for kicks?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:40pm
Typo being
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 9:25pm
The vent just introduces more phase shifting and group delay, as well as reducing the quality of the transients as a trade off to try and get more low end in there. If you have subs already then the low end is not what you really need, so the trade off might not be worth it. or maybe it is, just depends on preference. Every choice is a compromise.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 7:31am
Many have done dual 15 varients of the Klipsch LaScala.

Heilsound made one model that I used, kicked like a mule, was useable to 400hz or so.

I just stacked a pair of LaScala cabinets most of the time.

If you're just wanting kick, don't vent them.

Edited by _djk_ - 31 May 2015 at 7:56am
djk
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 8:16am
As has already been said , providing there not ported make a great kick imo !

Less artificial sounding than a bph , maybe a 15 rather than an 18 for better transient response too
A short flh is ideal for a kick at the expense of size ( in comparison to a bph)

In my experience they sound very musical , just a tad big ! And don't go low enough as an all in one bass cabinet but go lower than most bph kick which helps to get a decent sounding crossover to sub !

Trick is getting the most suited wbin design with the ideal driver
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 8:24am
Will be a dual 15 cab out of the eminence design book it shows ported but I will just not port it will be loaded with 18sound 15w700 speakers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 8:25am
And so powered with an sr707 mk1 should allow me a bit of headroom
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 9:35am
Some systems, need kick bin  to come in at approx 75hz.

Not sure how many w-bins will do that, without a port.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 9:50am
My X1 cabs will be running upto around 90hz so am hoping that the w's will roll on around that point and run upto around 4-500hz point at which point I hope the EV mth1's will take care of from there upwards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>