Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axis Valv-a-tron kt88

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axis Valv-a-tron kt88
    Posted: 29 December 2020 at 4:57pm
You're going to want to brew a cup of Yorkshire tea and settle down to watch this treat:
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 6:26pm
I like the track he used to demonstrate the amplifier. The message is truly in the music.

Are you the designer?

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 6:47pm
Bugger me no, just an admirer and potential customer should I win a lottery.

The wiring is the work of an artist, way better than any other valve amp I've ever used.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 7:09pm
Agreed, lovely bit of kit. 250w clean sounds a stretch for 4 kt88’s though, they must be running hard.I wonder what lifespan they expect on the output valves at that output.
KT150’s are around now, the hifi boys love them, could be a nice upgrade..
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 8:03pm
Spot the Matamp
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 10:31pm
Is there a 19" rack mount version?

LOL
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Agreed, lovely bit of kit. 250w clean sounds a stretch for 4 kt88’s though, they must be running hard.I wonder what lifespan they expect on the output valves at that output.
KT150’s are around now, the hifi boys love them, could be a nice upgrade..

Yes it would seem the wick is turned right up on those valves to be getting that sort of power from them. However, I’d still love to own a couple!
100% Earth Moving Bass
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Are you the designer?

Best Regards,

The designer is Paul Axis, a longtime speakerplans member as well....
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 10:10am
A thing of hand-made beauty. Clap

I'm waiting for the silly comment... "Selector switch only goes to 4 ohms,wont it do 2 ohms?" Wink
Be seeing you.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 10:36am
A good friend of mine has been building up a stack of these over lockdown with some lovely original style cabs. Really looking forward to when we come out of this and I can have a dance to it! The cotton wrapped wiring is lovely, very similar inside my turners.

These will probably be still going in 40 years time unlike almost every other amp being made these days.... 
blah blah blah blah blah......
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 11:14am
Can i just add something about the tight lace-wrapped wiring loom....it may look beautiful and neat, but tightly binding the looms and nice crisp right-angle bends in the wiring does fracture the conductors, on three separate S500d's (which use a similar old-school laced loom) i have had completely broken open-circuit breaks in the loom, so 'nice and neat' isn't allways the best option.

Be seeing you.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I'm waiting for the silly comment... "Selector switch only goes to 4 ohms,wont it do 2 ohms?" Wink
Yes, I thought this for a moment, but:
a) The transformers are most likely off the shelf (as much as these things  are), the resistance switch certainly so, and 16-8-4 ohms are by far and away the most common options (16-8 only if you're doing it on the cheap).
b) The SIZE of the custom output transformer required, and corresponding uprating of everything else.... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>