Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass amp for use with X1’s?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundgodwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass amp for use with X1’s?
    Posted: 29 May 2005 at 9:44pm

I have an old Trace Elliot GP12SMX bass head with an AH1200 amp attached to it. This is a single input with left and right channels outputs. It is rated at 600watts at 4ohms per side. I have used these with some cheap subs and it seems to be to powerfull for them as they have seemed to blow the woofers in them.

Will using this amp for the X1's not be a good idea?  

Make the soundman mad and I WILL press the suck button for your band.
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 4:35am
It's more than likely the amp was overdriven and the distortion took out the subs. I have used 750watt/4ohm per channel amps on 300wrms speakers for many hours with the clip light occaisionally flashing and they survived fine. If I had it clipping,they would've probably been toast in 10 mins.(Although you did neglect to mention what the subs were)
As for your question,amps are amps as long as the signal they output is suitable for the use,i.e. they have low distortion(duh) and are happy with the signals feeding them-and are outputting the same.
Just be sure that you are in fact feeding the speakers with a 'clean' signal. With bass it can be hard to tell when the amp is clipping,unlike full-range boxes where the harsh clipping harmonics are pretty clear.You could use your 600watts into a 1000watt 18(quality),and toast it if it is clipping hard.
Speaker addict
soundgodwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundgodwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 10:47am

Thanks for your reply. I was pushing them pretty hard. I did a small outdoor concert for the American Cancer Society. I had three different bands playing. The first and last group did good sending me just enough sighnal. The second group was overpowering my system and distoration was a big issue. Had to turn the mixer levels down and then up all during the set.

Distoration was certain in the 2 way cabinets I was using, but couldn't tell from the subwoofers. Looking at the led on the amp, it would just blink red in the clip range. I was using some 15" 350 subwoofers from a company called Legion Sound. They basically sucked after the second group. Not to mention that their customer service really sucks. Won't buy from them again.

I looks like some X1's are in the plans to use for my band. Mostly indoor stuff.

Make the soundman mad and I WILL press the suck button for your band.
 Post Reply Post Reply