Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bass guitar backline?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bass guitar backline?
    Posted: 11 November 2007 at 1:30pm
i have been asked to build a bass guitar backline cabinet. doesn't seem overly complicated, single 15/18 plus 2 to 4 10s/12s biamped in a ported reflex cab?

i'm thinking eminence/fane cookbook could be the way to go. any of the live sound people tell me if i'm going in the right direction?

gonna be used in pubs/clubs for pop rock type business.
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2007 at 1:41pm
15" tuned real low 10" on upper bass/mid and a small tweeter would sound grand, passive x-over between the 10" and tweeter and some sort of sensible simple x-over for the 15" x-over @ 80hz and say 2.5khz would be realy versatile. by realy low i mean 40 hz.....
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2007 at 1:51pm
kewl Smile

i've also been looking at the BFM omni12 and 15 full range cabs, would just like to have a go at one of his designs [the buyer will pay for the plans tooBig%20smile], just not too sure about the hornloaded aspect for a backline.
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2007 at 2:45pm
unless its a big gig i wouldnt go with horn loading.
if hes into bass heavy music id even suggest a twin 15 reflex cab with a 10" and horn mid top, but that may be too far.

LostGrayCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostGrayCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2007 at 3:25pm
Also design around the amp being used. There are some that have twin channels and cross-overs built in. Unless there's a reason to have a backline, you could also look into making a leanback style, monitor kinda rig.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2007 at 3:48pm
a 3 way monitor box like descrived above could even have a 3way passive x-over built in so wouldnt even need by amping, just use the other chanel for another cab.....
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2007 at 6:47pm
Id stick to 1x15 and 2x10 designed for all vertical stacking - have a look at these for box dimensions, very compact but some of the best sound I have heard from a purchaseable bass rig

Those two together with this head makes a great sound

All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
ToNy MoNtAnA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToNy MoNtAnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 8:27am
I'd suggest an 18 inch tuned very low. And in a seperate box, 4x 10 inch with 2 HF above that.

godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:05pm

all of this rather depends on the sound you want. pop rock to me would suggest more 100hz tight and warm sounding rather than trouser flapping serious lows. Im also not sold on the hf drivers - theres not a lot up that high other than string noise and it just tends to make the sound slightly harsh and thin, especially if you use any sort of overdriven sound.

1x15+2(or 4)x10 is a tried and trusted combination with good reason - its a versatile setup that should cover most sounds.

if you want something smaller a 15 reflex+sealed 10 cab is a good option. pretty compact and should be enough for a small stage.

Edited by godathunder - 16 November 2007 at 7:06pm
LOUDER THAN LOUD
 Post Reply Post Reply