Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass Horn throat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Augusts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass Horn throat
    Posted: 07 April 2019 at 1:07pm
Hello

I am working on my first bass horn and I have trouble understanding how to calculate and model the horn throat.

here I have gathered some designs. For example this one has a Hornresp screenshot - what two figures do I have to multiply to get the 180,50 cm2 ?

It looks like an offset horn but Hornresp says ND.

August

Augusts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Augusts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 1:11pm
Also the Compression ratio is SD/ S1 right?

How about this case then?

Do I calculate S1 by multiplying 378x144?
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 4:59pm
Quote It looks like an offset horn but Hornresp says ND
The Punisher might actually be developed before Hornresp could simulate offset horns.

You can simulate an offset horn as a regular horn. Often the offset part is simulated as front chamber volume instead, which will give similar results, as simulating as an offset horn. The smaller the offset part is, the smaller the influence and usually that's just above the pass band of an bass horn anyway. For >120 Hz that's a different matter.

Quote Do I calculate S1 by multiplying 378x144?
And calculate the volume inside the speaker cone as front chamber volume, would be one way to do it.

Johan
Augusts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Augusts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 5:42pm
Thanks for the reply !

So in Punisher’s case the S1 would be 5 cm that are indicated as throat height plus 1,5cm thats the thickess of the board times 28cm which is the diameter of the driver equals 182cm2 ? 
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 6:22pm
If you want to split hairs, you could use the width from the two angled side panels (looks to be a bit more than 28 cm). Other than that you're spot on!
Augusts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Augusts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 6:43pm
Great! Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply