Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BASS LINE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BASS LINE
    Posted: 20 March 2023 at 10:57am

I posted this elsewhere but it was a bit off topic so thought I’d give it its own thread:

QUESTION 1)

Given what the rest of my Sound consists of what would be a good range/rating and amount of Bass Speakers to add in my line, below the following:

HIGH/HORNS:

X2 Peavey RX22 

Frequency Response: 650 Hz to 20,000 Hz

Recommended Crossover: 1200 Hz at 12 dB / Octave

Lowest Recommended Crossover: 1000 Hz at 12 dB / Octave

Sensitivity: 107 dB / 1W 1m

https://peavey.com/rx-22-ct-driver/p/03616190

UPPER MIDS:

x4 Jamo 12”

-Power handling (nominal/music power): 150 / 265 W

-Efficiency: 95.2 dB (1W/1m)

-Frequency response: 48 - 20'000 Hz

-Transitional ranges: 1'800 / 4'800 Hz

-Impedance: 8 Ohm

https://hifi-wiki.com/index.php/Jamo_D_265

LOW MIDS:

x4 15” Peavey Black Widow 

(1508-4 SPS BWX SPKR 4ohm)

Usable freq. range: 40 Hz ~ 2 kHz

Sensitivity: 97.5 dB / 1 W 1 m

They are 500w continuous/1000w program/2000w peak.

https://peavey.com/black-widow-1508-4-sps-bwx-speaker/p/00560140

QUESTION 2)

LUCASDUDE Wrote:

“If you intend just to plonk a load of boxes in one spot, then you don't need to worry about stereo. A single stack will be in mono, so the HF and MF sections can be driven by just a single amp channel each. So the minimum number of amp channels required for an active 3 way mono system is 3, for an active 3 way stereo system is 5 ( bass frequencies are omnidirectional, so they don't need to be run in stereo).”

So after re-reading this by LUCASADE , I’m writing to double check how many outs I need?

I’m currently planning my stack so I can run it in Stereo, x2 stacks if needed:

Left: x1 High/x2 Upper Mid/x2 Lower Mid/Bass yet to add?

Right: x1 High/x2 Upper Mid/x2 Lower Mid/Bass yet to add?

I will eventually add x2 Bass L&R and an Amp to run them. My DSP has x8 outs (so as it stands I’m using x3 amps, x6 outs)

But after reading the above about bass being omnidirectional and not needing to be run in stereo, I’m just checking my last outs 7&8 will be sufficient to run my x4 18” Bass via to the x2 channels on 4th amp to the last x2 outs?

Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 11:06am
Yes, using outputs 7&8 for the 18s is fine. Even if you're using 4 way stereo, I would still suggest you sum the LF to mono. 7&8 will then output the same signal. In addition, the LF speakers of your 4 way system should ideally be in the same location regardless of where your other speakers end up. When sub cabinets are placed tightly together, you will benefit from increased output.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 11:18am
Just so I understand correctly, are you intending to use just the 12" woofers from Jamo D266 cabinets as upper midrange drivers, or are you using the complete speakers? You've listed the frequency range of the complete speaker.
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 12:05pm
I will put them into x2 double 12” cabinets I have. (Conanski said “the low frequency driver in a speaker like this generally determines the sensitivity for the whole system”)
I’ll probably eventually upgrade to a different 12” when I sell the Jamos & Celestions I have but for now that’s what I have.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 1:21pm
for that frequency band, I think the Celestion G12s you have will sound a lot better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 1:33pm
The Celestions are 75w and Guitar Speakers.
(Mine are from 70s but they remade them for a while)
https://celestion.com/product/g12t-75/

I have asked the question before about which would be best Jamo or Celestion for my upper Mids and got this answer from Conanski who has tried them in a sound system “All those drivers you listed are very low power by modern standards and wouldn't be hard to blow under PA uses, I have some Celestion G15-150 drivers that look really beefy but they died pretty quickly in PA cabs... they're just not built for that kind of use”

I know this forum is highly against Jamo LOL but for now put that aside, I’m looking to understand what bass I should add (by all means reccomend what type of power/range/size I should replace the Jamos with for my upper Mids as I may look at it in the future)  
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 1:52pm
Conanski was most likely using his G15s for full range use. If you intend to cross over your upper mids at over 2k or so then the G12s will be more suitable than the Jamos. Those woofers are for low frequency use, and the D266 passive crossovers only allow them to function below 1.8k.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 2:03pm
Your finished system could be 2 stacks of..
1x PV CD (1.6khz+)
2x 12" Jamo (250hz - 1.6khz)
2x 15" PV BW (80hz - 250hz)
2x 18" ?? (35hz - 80hz)
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 2:16pm
No the G15s were used as low-mids. The problem is the cones in these things are relatively fragile and the VC is very short, they are designed as guitar speakers and as such go non-linear(distort) at relatively low power levels, this adds desirable(for a guitarist) color or warmth to the sound but that is exactly what a PA speaker should not do. But besides that they just didn't handle much power.. the rating is very honest and the voice coils burned when powered at only 200w while similar spec PA drivers just kept on trucking. 
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 2:25pm
I agree Conanski, but I was assuming that upper midrange would mean an hpf far higher than the 250hz in your example above!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 3:02pm
Thanks, most Bass speakers I’ve looked at are obviously capable of 35-80hz. Given what I have then is there a certain wattage I should go for? It’s nice to have a symmetrical configuration to the stack but could I have x2 of higher wattage driver instead of x4 of a lower wattage if mounted in a certain box, how does it work or translate to my stack?
Do the boxes in which the driver is mounted in reverse maximise the bass more than a forward facing super scoops for instance?

PS
LUCASADE wrote “the G12s will be more suitable than the Jamos. Those woofers are for low frequency use, and the D266 passive crossovers only allow them to function below 1.8k.”
When used in conjunction with H/LM/B they will be in a new cabinet without the Jamos internal Passive Crossover.

Edited by SnailSpace - 20 March 2023 at 4:06pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 12:27am
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

Thanks, most Bass speakers I’ve looked at are obviously capable of 35-80hz. Given what I have then is there a certain wattage I should go for?
The most powerful quality drivers you can afford, there is no such thing as having too much sub.

It’s nice to have a symmetrical configuration to the stack but could I have x2 of higher wattage driver instead of x4 of a lower wattage if mounted in a certain box, how does it work or translate to my stack?
Do the boxes in which the driver is mounted in reverse maximise the bass more than a forward facing super scoops for instance?
There are lots of different sub designs around but every one has a tradeoff. Bass reflex are the smallest, they can go low but going loud requires expensive drivers and hugh amplifiers. There are tons of medium sized front and rear horn/manifold/bandpass designs now, most of these are louder than a reflex but usually don't go as low. A fully front loaded horn(the driver isn't visible) are the most efficient but the boxes are massive. 
This is physics at work, when it come to low frequency reprodution you can only have 2 of these 3 parameters in a sub enclosure at one time... goes low, gets loud, is small. 

PS
LUCASADE wrote “the G12s will be more suitable than the Jamos. Those woofers are for low frequency use, 

His concern is that these raw 12" drivers may have more of a home audio driver response than a PA/instrument drivers response where it rolls of pretty quickly at about 500hz instead of carring on all the way out to 2.5-3khz or more. He could be right and there is only 1 way to find out... put them in a cab by themselves and put a fullrange signal through them. If they produce lots of vocals they are good to use, but if not then you will have to use some of the other drivers you have for now. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>