Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bastardising the X1??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iain.za Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bastardising the X1??
    Posted: 23 November 2004 at 6:49pm

Just an idea, shoot at will... The Mrs made a suggestion that's stuck with me so i'm looking for input...

Suggestion: build a scaled-down X1 to deliver base for my Technics system I use at home as a warm-up for some serious cab building...

Now a few questions follow:

1. Is it possible to scale an X1 down to house a 15" speaker without f'ing up the design principles?

2. Would considering putting a crossover and amp module into the cab, thus making it active make me a bastard! Is it possible.

3. Would the Eminence Kappa Pro 15 be suitable? http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/ speakpro/kap15.htm

4. Should i rather shut up and build a proper cab?

Input appreciated!! (Pls address all negative commentary to info@bbc.co.uk!!!)

:)i

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2004 at 8:26pm

An X1 with a different speaker, with a different volume and tuning isn't an X1. It's just a 6th order bandpass.

If you want good bass at home, use a speaker with a big Xmax and low Fs. For instance a Lab12 or the HL-10A in a basreflex (to stick with Eminence) would do a great job.

Sure you can make it active, but if you use active filtering it would be far easier not to.

You don't have to shut-up (yet ), but you surely have to learn something about building speakers, before you begin. Reading a month orso everything you can find about speakerbuilding would be a good warm-up.

Cheers

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 12:04am
ALmost everyone apart from audiophiles go active for subs - buy a cheap plate amp and 12" driver eg shiva(value for money)

A PA woofer in the home will still only do high bass and not proceed much below 50hz
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 12:29am

Partially agree, most won't.

Cheers

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 12:30am
Won't give deep bass that is
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 12:40am
my 2226 does well for 33hz and music,but its an expensive linear piece!
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 3:21am
Hi Tain  - you can do BP4/BP6A/BP6B -

I've got very little BP experience but like em

get some Vd ! - some of my woofers have it and prolly myself :^(

use WinIsd for rough estimates of BP6A  (late Bob Bullock's free DOS BPBOXMOD will do series BP6B case)  -  shelf vent / whatever vent in front chamber - may have to adjust length with RTA, spl meter/warble or just by ear - want nuff so things don;t compress too much

some 15" with specs like Dayton Quatro  at Parts Express would keep size down on your BP and run maybe 89-90dB as guess

"think" BP4 need Qt around 0.5  or bit higher - - lower Qts can do BP6

DJK suggested BP4 with gain  by picking higher Q woofers and  rear chamber sizse= Qtc=1.1 rear box - you can do this in WinIsd with sealed box and then see Fc indicated  (sealed box resonance)  run another sim in BP4 (or BP6A) and pick front chamber tuned  to about Fc to see what happpens in simulation

(maybe Dennis will appear to talk aobut BP?)

heres a 70l BP6B laying around using a 10" with 6mm xmax - sounded good overall with things like Control 1 mini speakers - shake walls at 28hz (walls are flimsy)

near-port http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/BP6B.jpg

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 9:57am

I recon for home use take a manly ProAudio sub and URPS it (sealed box with EQ and possibly a limiter) Vd is king here, so multiple units are doable. Depending on your app, have a look @ siegfried Linkwit'z site and go dipole, which reduces the room interaction in the bass (a big boon), but if you want loud dipole bass, think many drivers (been thinking of a couple of P.Audio 18s on a dipole.

Why go for Emminence in this country (appart from LAB12) when P.Audio is similar in price or cheaper?

Martin

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 3:42pm

You could build a bandpass enclosure from scratch designing it with WinISD but its probably a bit hit and miss as with a bandpass there are a lot of factors to consider such as port noise and the fact that they often colour the sound.

In my opinion a better option would be something like an Autotuba http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans/product_info.php/produc ts_id/7

Its small, hornloaded and cheap what more could you ask for? well it will test your woodworking skills too!

Stu

All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
 Post Reply Post Reply