Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C 21SW152 Otorn tapered horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&C 21SW152 Otorn tapered horn
    Posted: 12 March 2017 at 12:37am
hi, so I'm planning to build Othorn cabs but I am having trouble understanding the plans, can anyone help me make sense of them?, i feel dumb AF for asking...

are the plans like this or as written in the original pic?

I think I will make some out of cardboard first as a prototype
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 11:41am
I don't understand what you mean. The plan is pretty clear to me! Your second picture is wrong as there seems to be no expansion. 
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 6:57pm
hey

I've marked the plan a little better, hopefully that helps?  

The Green parts are the actual panels of wood in the horn, though as Patryk says you can't just straighten them out and make them horizontal as you have in your plan, you need to keep them at the same angles they are at in the original plan so there is expansion in the horn path all the way round the cab. 

All the other information that's on the plan serves two purposes. Firstly it less you see the size of everything and work out how to cut all the wood, but it also is how the designer has made it. The thin black line that runs between the green pieces, that has the curves at each end as it travels all the way around the horn path, is showing you the path of the air/sound round the speaker, and all the dimensions and information around this is what he has used to simulate it in his designing program and worked out what shape and size to make it all. 

You can ignore the majority of it, and just use whatever figures and angles and sizes you need to work out all the bits of wood and how to put it all together. 

edit: actually, looking at the original design, ignore the two curved lines on the left top and bottom there is no wood here. I though from the drawing that he had put curved pieces of wood here to smooth the horn path around the corners, a common technique, but looking at some photos of the design it appears not LOL

Hope that helps,

K

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 12 March 2017 at 7:52pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 7:40pm
But look at the length patch. He used circular approximation.
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 8:13pm
As an engineer, I wouldn't want to publish that plan in a public domain.

If I were you, I would rebuild the drawing - it's an overdimensioned mess with no clear intent or useful data! Sorry, but it's true.

Also.. Inches? Cry

Edited by infrasound - 12 March 2017 at 8:14pm
chong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 8:26pm
here is all the info for that plan, its a mess to me, and I don't understand the bullet point measurements too.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/193418-othorn-tapped-horn.html

----------------------------------------------------------
but what going n with this Othorn cab, its different..

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/179365/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/167828/width/400/height/342

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

As an engineer, I wouldn't want to publish that plan in a public domain.

And I like it! Its a lot of mess but you can see designer did is very detailed. And its easy to reverse engineer if you have any doubts.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 9:21pm
yeah, the problem is I don't think that first drawing is actually supposed to be a construction drawing, I think that its just supposed to be the horn path dimensions for simulating in Akabak. 

While with some time you could go through it all and figure out all the sizes, I'm sure if you go through that thread there must be a better drawing somewhere, or a list of all the panels needing cut or something. 

K
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 10:06pm
Not sure if it's even possible to get panel sze from that drawing.

You may need to pm the designer for the build plan.

I'm about half way through the otorn thread and have not yet come across a build plan.
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 10:12pm
After seeing the project page I understand that this was not meant as a "plan" to be distributed, instead as a screengrab of his dimensioning.

Hopefully he will release a more sensible public plan! Will make it easier for end users Thumbs Up

Edited by infrasound - 12 March 2017 at 10:13pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Speaker Sol Speaker Sol wrote:

Not sure if it's even possible to get panel sze from that drawing.

You may need to pm the designer for the build plan.

I'm about half way through the otorn thread and have not yet come across a build plan.

Well it looks as if it's to scale, so at the very least you could just scale it up and get all the angles and the dimensions to within a few mm, close enough that it wouldn't change the response noticeably.

But yeah not ideal.

K
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 11:00pm
Some 6 years ago i decided to play a bit with the tapped horn idea.
So i made this box along with 3 other prototypes.
I was barely impressed with both the spl and the low end extensions.
My double 18 reflex box killed it in every possible aspect.
So i really dont get what all this fuzz around the tapped horns is all about.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>