Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C 21SW152 Otorn tapered horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 11:27pm
What speakers did you use? In othorn and in br?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 1:00am
That is not the OThorn, it was my own design.
Same driver used in both boxes, a customized variant of 18NLW9600 that later became the current 18NLW9601.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 2:32am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Some 6 years ago i decided to play a bit with the tapped horn idea.
So i made this box along with 3 other prototypes.
I was barely impressed with both the spl and the low end extensions.
My double 18 reflex box killed it in every possible aspect.
So i really dont get what all this fuzz around the tapped horns is all about.

Tapped Horns go lower than Folded Horns but, not as low as a Reflex. There are some that must use horns. Those that fall into that category will find Tapped Horns exceptionally good. For those that use Reflex cabinets, Tapped Horns will sound as if they lack the low end extension commonly found in Reflex cabinets.

The hype behind the Tapped Horn is based upon Tom Danley. There are lots of people that respect his design schemes and feel exuberant creating one of his designs.

Best Regards,   

Elliot Thompson
asifaadish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifaadish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 10:34am
Hi Marjan,

First of all i Respect your work alot, for me the good think is about your ideas that you always try to do something better with the sound physics. 

Good luck

Smile

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

That is not the OThorn, it was my own design.
Same driver used in both boxes, a customized variant of 18NLW9600 that later became the current 18NLW9601.

Do you have simulation response for this tapped?
This is actually one of the best choices for fl horns.
Was it big br? How did it sound in br? All sounds in one note? Its low qts.
Could it be the room?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 7:23pm
All tests were made outside.
The box in question (the BR) is not produced anymore.
We have a new one that use customized 18NLW9601.
Note the 18NLW9600 we used was customized in ways that are company secrets.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Ricci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by chong chong wrote:

hi, so I'm planning to build Othorn cabs but I am having trouble understanding the plans, can anyone help me make sense of them?, i feel dumb AF for asking...  

are the plans like this or as written in the original pic?

I think I will make some out of cardboard first as a prototype

Chong,

The picture you posted is from the build / design thread for my original set of cabs many years back. As someone posted earlier that's a screenshot pulled out of the Solidworks assembly that was used to develop the panel placement, clearances and expansion for the Akabak simulations. Also that's from the original version 1 of the cab. Othorn version 2 had some mild changes made a few years back. That picture is not the plans, though it could be, the plans are a set of detailed PDF's, DXF and other files that can be used and adopted to the tools and build techniques available. Quite a few people have built these so the prints aren't too hard to come by.

The dimensions are 36x36x24 if you want to make a mockup of how big the cab is going to be using cardboard.

chong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 9:43pm
Ricci, thanks for the info, do you have any idea where I can find the pdf's?? I've been searching about but ha no luck
Ricci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ricci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by chong chong wrote:

Ricci, thanks for the info, do you have any idea where I can find the pdf's?? I've been searching about but ha no luck

You can PM me your email or email me at the webadmin at Data-Bass. I'll send them to you.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 4:49am
Originally posted by Ricci Ricci wrote:

Othorn version 2 had some mild changes made a few years back. That picture is not the plans, though it could be, the plans are a set of detailed PDF's, DXF and other files that can be used and adopted to the tools and build techniques available. Quite a few people have built these so the prints aren't too hard to come by.

Does anyone know where to get these plans? Is anyone able to PM them to me? 
chong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:01pm
Ricci mate you gave the plans like a year ago 😂
chong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:03pm
Omg I'm so dumb.. I didn't see that it wasn't Ricci.... I have them if you want them, pm me your email
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>