Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

behringer ep2500 bridge mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: behringer ep2500 bridge mode
    Posted: 22 October 2007 at 9:47pm
Has anyone measured power delivered by this amp when in bridge mode?  I want to drive two ciare 12.00sw's in parallel from the ep2500 in bridge mode.  Hornresp reckons i'm going to hit around 3.8ohms @50hz.  So this will prolly present each channel with a bit less than 2ohms Clap   The amp claims RMS @ 2ohm of 2.4kw.
  However, there's nothing like real world measurements...  I would like to power each pair of ciares with a 4Kw amp, but budget restrictions make the bellringer such an attractive contender (especially when there will be 16ciares to power up...)
  I hate these damn impedance issues Angry hehe
What I cannot create, I do not understand
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 10:21pm
Search forums for EP2500, you will find EP2500 driving sub in 4ohm bridge is ill advised.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 10:52pm
Yup most budget amps are fine for 4 ohm per side or 8ohm bridge. To run at a stable 2 ohm per side/4 ohm bridge, a lot of the budget amps can fail due to overheating.

To run loads like 2ohms per side, spend that bit more and get a proven amp that will and can deliver.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 11:04pm
Funny that as we have been using EP2500 amps bridged into 4 ohm 2x18 cabinets both direct radiating and horn loaded for some three years now and we have yet to have one go faulty---We have also used about twenty of them in budget installations running the same way and yet again we have never had one go faulty--the only time that we have had a problem with an EP2500 or EP1500 is with a faulty on/off switch on a brand new one straight out of its box.
Our experiences are based upon our own findings and work with these amps and not on  biased or second hand statements very often made by people that have never used them or tried them and at the end of the day they are manufactured by one of the most respected Chinese factories that make an aweful lot of amps for other well very known  manufacturers and these never get sl*gged off----In a lot of peoples eyes,they see Behringer and they automatically think its crap--they could not be further from the truth with these two amps. 
djrockstar4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrockstar4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 11:30pm
I still dont trust Behringer, and never will. I will use it as a backup, but after losing 5 grand of subs to a Behringer product, it will be hard to earn my trust back, I would reccomend spending the extra money and getting the QSC RMX series, never had any problems with those, and i've put them through some rough times. Currently I run the Crown MacroTech on my Martin Audio system and I run the QSC PLX2's on my EV system, never had a single problem with either of them, and those are touring with me every weekend. And with those, you really can do just about anything with and they just keep on going.
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 12:29am
I've had my fair share of experiences with cheaper amps & it's always hit & miss.  It would be nice to see if ne1 had measured the voltage & current out of one when driving hard into 4ohms bridge.  Even cooler if some1 measured it & posted the results here Smile
  My biggest concern is how good their protection is (although all will be run through an LMS, most of the time), if they can't deliver full power that's not a great problem, as long as they can push >2k into 4ohms.
  So far i've been satisfied with the behringer processing stuff i've gone thru.  If their amps perform as well i'll be happy to power my new cabs up with these for a while.
  Unfortunately when the budget for the whole system is onpar with the price of 1 really good crown, behringer jumps up & barks loudest...

cheers,
  Rob.
What I cannot create, I do not understand
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Our experiences are based upon our own findings and work with these amps and not on  biased or second hand statements very often made by people that have never used them or tried them.

I have used these amps, and experience has taught me never to use it for serious sub heavy material for more than 1 driver. Friends have accidentally connected 4x 8ohm cabs on 1 channel and it shutdown immediately, so much for 2ohms per channel.

The amp only has 1500W Transformer, so rated spec is "misleading".

Cheapest amps I would recommend are Matrix STR3000H for 8ohm stereo or Proline 2700 for 4ohm bridge.

Regards.

Edited by levyte357 - 23 October 2007 at 1:14am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 2:03am
I had an ep2500 running into a dummy load recently but i couldent get it to run a sine wave at 4 ohms bridged without triping the breaker.  tested it with a gated signal and mesured 2500W roughly (the scoap i borrowed was a bit naff)   but that was on a gated signal, not continuas sine, like a say they wont do 4ohms bridged at clip continuas they just trip the breaker.   still not bad amps though
djrockstar4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrockstar4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 2:14am

that last comment should be locked so people can easily find it. A lot of people use the Behringer amps, and they would probably like to know that info

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 9:47am

Would anyone here seriously reccomend running any power amp(other than Crown Macro series)into clip into a 4 ohm load when bridged--because I wouldnt--and that is the reason why they kick the trip out in order to protect themselves and whatever load is connected to it--just as it has been designed to do.

We have run these amps on tours and installs now for over three years week in and week out--not just on regular weekend gigs and they have never missed a beat--I have always likened them to the Skoda car syndrome--most people would never buy one due to previous bad press and bad reputation--they would buy a VW instead--but the customers that buy Skoda are very happy with them as they are getting a VW quality built car at an affordable price.

adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 11:50am
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 11:53am
It all comes down to duty cycle.  If you hardly ever take your amp into clip then at most it will be giving out 25% of its power on high energy music and for live bands  probably as little as 10% of its power on average. A better test is to try to get the breaker to trip when playing some tunes. 
Sine wave tests may be good to find out if it can be used as a welder but pretty pointless in the real world. Oh yes the wife does drive a Skoda and loves it.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>