Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Behringer Ultradrive Problems Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Poll Question: I own/have owned a DCX2496 Ultradrive and it was....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [4.46%]
11 [3.50%]
13 [4.14%]
184 [58.60%]
44 [14.01%]
48 [15.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Behringer Ultradrive Problems Poll
    Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:10pm
Ok, so we seem to get lots of requests about this unit, and also lots of comments about Behringer reliability.  Lots of people think that this is one of the 'good ones' but it would be interesting to see how the stats pan out.

I've allowed multiple votes as people have owned/own multiple units with varying outcomes.  Please don't abuse the poll by impoper voting as it skews what might be a useful piece of info.

If you vote one of the 'other' options, please elaborate here with the details of the problems, so we can see if there are many common issues.

I'll leave this stickied for a while then see what we do with it if it produces anything useful.

Edited by norty303 - 03 December 2008 at 9:13am
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Richard Hart View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:19pm
I've got two. One is magic, and the other one sometimes has no output on output one, a re-boot seems to sort this.

My synopsis is that they're a fantastic unit for the price, and a great unit too. (if that makes sense...) 
WhiteElephantSounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteElephantSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:26pm
An old batch one, frying egg and then a dramatic 240 volt from the outputs Angry

New one seems fine, constantly expecting it to die now though. Great piece of kit, price is a bonus.

chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:34pm
Cast my three votes :)

1st one I had (in 2003 I think and for the saucy price of over £300!) had at least 3 faults, frying eggs, LCD backlight unreliable, flickered, went off or dim etc and first and 4th output would drop out sometimes which required tapping the unit near the XLRs to restore sound and the encoder on the front sometimes went crazy and would jump up and down all over the place instead of in controlled increments, it was quite a state. To be fair it had been uncased most of it's life and toured and behringer replaced it free of charge only days away from the warranty running out.

The 2nd one, the replacement was much better, an op-amp on one of the outputs failed causing the signal to be half leg which wasn't a huge problem and was able to repair it myself. It went on for a few years before developing the frying egg problem intermittantly, as far as I know it's still in use as a 2 way x-over on the non-frying channels in a dodgy bar in south sheilds.

My third and current ultradrive is maybe about 3 years old and has never had a fault and been used many times on dodgy generators etc.

Despite being on my 3rd one I love the DCXs, they're so flexible and nice while they work! Using DRPAs at work makes me appreciate how user friendly and flexible the DCX is. In many ways they're more flexible than DP226 or 224 in terms of the input routing especially.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:34pm
I have two.
One about 4 years old and one half a yer old.

I have put some plastic insulation between the chase (bottom) and the PCB as soon as i get the units and have no problems at all.

My theory is that because the unit gets fairly hot during use, after some period of use the bottom of the chase gets a little curved towards the inside (closer to the pcb) and start gently touching the pcb. That is the source of the "egg noise".

I have discovered this on a friend unit that started to make that noise, and when you hit the unit it created a "kick sound" on the speakers.

A very easy fix that should hot steer you away from this unit. I find if extremely good value for the money.

Regards
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Richard Hart Richard Hart wrote:

I've got two. One is magic, and the other one sometimes has no output on output one, a re-boot seems to sort this.

...interesting, my intermittent output problems were with output one also.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I have two.
One about 4 years old and one half a yer old.

I have put some plastic insulation between the chase (bottom) and the PCB as soon as i get the units and have no problems at all.

My theory is that because the unit gets fairly hot during use, after some period of use the bottom of the chase gets a little curved towards the inside (closer to the pcb) and start gently touching the pcb. That is the source of the "egg noise".

I have discovered this on a friend unit that started to make that noise, and when you hit the unit it created a "kick sound" on the speakers.

A very easy fix that should hot steer you away from this unit. I find if extremely good value for the money.

Regards

This is interesting (and certainly not a bad idea) though the egg problem is usually associated with the ribbon cables and mine tend not to run hot either. Could it be that when you dissasembled the unit to install the plastic you re-made a bad connection better?
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:54pm
I've cast my two votes.
1- early batch frying egg, fixed by replacing the ribbon cable. I also insulted the bottom of the casing from the inside while I was in there, no problems since.

2- second unit I bought about a year ago, after a few months it went down, giving no output and no display, although the display was backlit. I have recieved a replacemnt which has yet to be used.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 9:05pm
Quote Could it be that when you dissasembled the unit to install the plastic you re-made a bad connection better?

I think a lot of the problems where people experience noise on the outputs are actually due to the IDC header/ribbon cable problem.  As you surmise, you have to move/disturb this piece in order to do the other fixes so it's actually a red herring.  The fact that a number of the units (my old one included) had the insulation fix done and then later went on to re-develop the noise problem adds weight to this theory.  Same as fiddling with the XLR's, this causes the I/O board to be moved inside slightly, again, flexing the ribbon cable at the IDC header.
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 9:10pm
you missed some options from the poll:

an early model (first batch) and suffered 'organic frying eggs' prob
What I cannot create, I do not understand
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 9:25pm
And then there's all subtle variations like 'frying bacon', 'unsmoked streaky', etc  Big smile
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 9:27pm
i just got one and the main mute button is really sensitive and comes on when you press the button next to it and dose not press down correctly.  Waiting blue aran to get back to me 

apart from that Im well happy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>