Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Benefits of V loading drivers in subs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Benefits of V loading drivers in subs?
    Posted: 02 April 2020 at 10:58am
hey guys, what, if anything but for size, is the benefit of fitting drivers in a V formation in a sub?

Ala Mach M218R or Shermann CB218

It looks cool, it looks like it will squeeze the air and force it harder... Does it? Lower extension?

What gives?

cheers
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:14am
You can use Hornresp to simulate this. The short story is that a large enough V will give a bit of boost at the upper end of the passband. The example picture might give a bit of boost in the 2-400Hz range - not really useful for a subwoofer.

IMO, best bet is to flip the drivers around and run magnet-out. The ported chamber gets larger (bit more low bass), and the drivers will stay cooler under high-power use. Win-win.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:20am
The designer of the Noise Control VSB218s ( Reay) told me he wasn't interested in any horn loading etc, it was more that the V baffle makes the box stronger and you can separate the chambers easily if that's what you want to ??

I kinda agree !

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 12:56pm
The designs that were shared previously, obviously don't save space. You even need bigger dimensions if you want to keep the same rear chamber volume. Depending on the cavity you wille get some extra gain but mostly >90 Hz. If you go for designs like the SB1000 or the newer BA X28 (for example) you gain a smaller frontal area but need more depth to counter the loss in rear chamber volume.
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 2:09pm
I repaired a club sound system in Portland, Maine USA in the fall of 2018. Two of the dual 18s were v and two dual 18 were standard design. It was easy to AB them. The Vs were Mach and the standard ones were Peavey. Not an exact match up but the Vs had more kick. I believe the V adds a small amount of a horn effect. VECTORSONICS
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

...I believe the V adds a small amount of a horn effect. VECTORSONICS

It's rather a bandpass effect, but yeah, definately some effect ( not dramatic ) on respons higher up.
How much and where depends on 'port" opening, "enclosed" volume.
When speakers are mounted fairly hard inwarths and "enclosed" volume is substantial, you could need to take some dB in account regarding crossoverpoints, so "acoustical" crossover sits where it needs to be.
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 3:53pm
The attached documentation for the Court Acoustics 2 x 18" sub claims some benefits of the v baffle loading.

https://ibb.co/WxjMNj3
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by APC321 APC321 wrote:

The attached documentation for the Court Acoustics 2 x 18" sub claims some benefits of the v baffle loading.

https://ibb.co/WxjMNj3

They totally fail to explain what that benefit is.
"based on rear folded horns like 4520" .. not even close.
Lots of words, seems all very logical, especially to an uneducated newbie,
but no factual substance whatsoever.
Way too much sauce of the marketting spin variant LOL

There is a moderate ( some dB ) bandpass effect from a "V-bafffle" arrangement, but it usually sits mostly outside the useable range of a subwoofer and must be taken into account when setting up the crossover with kicks, (low)mids or tops. It will certainly not make for more low-end SPL, maybe aid a little bit those kick, (low)mids, etc. Whether that's a benefit to chase after or not, depends on the ability of those kicks, etc..  to do their bottom end with authority or not. Other than that, I see a V-baffle arrangement only as a way to stuff more/bigger speakers in a cabinet with less frontal surface than straight BR flat mounted speakers at the expense of a somewhat bigger cabinet in total.

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 7:33pm
It was the words where they spoke about two 18" drivers having a certain piston area. ie. As in a direct radiator box.

Then they spoke about that in a v-baffle these drivers were modulating a volume of air made up by the v-baffle arrangement.

ie. Could this volume of air in the v-baffle be treated like the compression chamber in a bass horn?

I was wondering if there was some kind of impedence matching going on.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

The designer of the Noise Control VSB218s ( Reay) told me he wasn't interested in any horn loading etc, it was more that the V baffle makes the box stronger and you can separate the chambers easily if that's what you want to ??

I kinda agree !

.p.

yes, the baffles are bracing the middle of the box making the whole thing more rigid and less prone to viration. pointing the drivers toward each other means the motion of the cones cancel each other out and don't transfer vibration to the box as much. it frees up area on the front of the speaker to place the vents. drivers are further back and more protected from liquid, and it means you can use a smaller grill rather than cover the whole front.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 7:09am
amazing answers guys, thanks. I do notice the shermanns I own have an urgency in the upper ranges (90-110) and defo are way more sensitive to input, but that could be the fane xbs.

Good info and good cross ref of knowledge. Cheers.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
hectorberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 12:30pm
Would there be any hornloading effect if the port was in the middle of the v baffle? Almost acting as a large flared port or would the length of the 'v' be too short to add noticeable improvement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>