Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best cabinet for heavy bass music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best cabinet for heavy bass music
    Posted: 28 April 2017 at 12:27am
Hey everyone,

I am interested in building a 3 way sound system and am looking for newb advice. I have a loose understanding of all the components I need. I'm still in the early stages at this point...

Apologies as I feel like this question has been asked so many times... What type of bass cabinet is best suited for heavy bass music? I want to build bins that are capable of going as low as 25-30hz. Feel free to link me to another thread

Some considerations are that these will likely go in a small club with max 250 people. As a result, the audience will be fairly close to the system which is why I am hesitant to consider horn loaded cabs (although from what I have read, scoops can push out more dB compared to reflex?). That being said, from what I have gathered, a reflex design would be the best option (especially when considering the throw of scoops). Size is somewhat important since these will be going in a small venue and I would like to keep transport costs/effort reasonable.

Other cabs that I am considering would be shortmans, mini-scoops or hogs but I am not sure how they compare.

There are endless styles and I just get lost when trying to compare since everyone has an opinion…haha

Maybe this will all go away and I'll just need to buy something premade since I am out of Canada and have zero woodworking skills T_T

Thanks

Edited by jngggggggg - 28 April 2017 at 12:27am
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 1:22am
Reflex.. period. Scoops don't outperform reflex subs at the frequencies you're talking about.. matter of fact nothing much does until horns get rediculously large. Throw is a misunderstood issue too, what people call throw is just directivity.. horns focus more energy in front of the cab with less spill to the sides and behind, put a set of barn doors on a dual 18 cab and you get the same result. And producing good bass indoors is more about sub placement in the room than raw system capability so you will have to do some homework to determine the best layout.

As for what to build, use some of the latest state of the art drivers(B&C 18TBW or 18SW), build the right size cab to deliver the lowend corner you want and the right number of cabs to deliver the SPL or impact you want, and power appropriately of course. You won't achieve this with a pair of drivers just to be clear, life just begins with four 18" drivers in the reflex world IMO so plan on using 8 drivers or more eventually depending upon how bass crazy the requirements are.
jngggggggg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Reflex.. period. Scoops don't outperform reflex subs at the frequencies you're talking about.. matter of fact nothing much does until horns get rediculously large. Throw is a misunderstood issue too, what people call throw is just directivity.. horns focus more energy in front of the cab with less spill to the sides and behind, put a set of barn doors on a dual 18 cab and you get the same result. And producing good bass indoors is more about sub placement in the room than raw system capability so you will have to do some homework to determine the best layout.

As for what to build, use some of the latest state of the art drivers(B&C 18TBW or 18SW), build the right size cab to deliver the lowend corner you want and the right number of cabs to deliver the SPL or impact you want, and power appropriately of course. You won't achieve this with a pair of drivers just to be clear, life just begins with four 18" drivers in the reflex world IMO so plan on using 8 drivers or more eventually depending upon how bass crazy the requirements are.

Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on what style of reflex cab? I'm not overly familiar with the options but I've heard that bandpass cabs when made properly can really shine
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 6:45am
What kind of havy bass music? Like Flux P - Bass Cannon? Or trap? Or what?
rm31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rm31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 6:55am
Follow the specification for this driver and you won't go too far wrong... Budget permitting.... 

Martin Audio F2
RCF MB15N301
Martin Audio FSX
BMS 18N862

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

What kind of havy bass music? Like Flux P - Bass Cannon? Or trap? Or what?

proper dubstep - didnt wanna specifically reference that genre since many have their opinions of the sound and i wanted to keep this thread focussed heh

i also play a lot of reggae/dub & "modern" dub music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkPI2B_w8_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-AWwJJeN4

Edited by jngggggggg - 28 April 2017 at 5:39pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by rm31 rm31 wrote:

Follow the specification for this driver and you won't go too far wrong... Budget permitting.... 

http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=18n862_specification - http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=18n862_specification

nice1! was actually browsing their drivers before you suggested.. however, i do not have any cab designing software or knowledge at all. are there any free-plans that pair well w/ this driver for my needs? or is it more complicated than that?
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:44pm
Than build tapped horn! Cant imagine better suited construction for dubstep. This bms is for BR unfortunately.
Search othorn for start.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:46pm
+ lets say 2 15 with hf
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by jngggggggg jngggggggg wrote:

however, i do not have any cab designing software or knowledge at all. are there any free-plans that pair well w/ this driver for my needs? or is it more complicated than that?

The joy of reflex is a much simpler design process.
Key variables are nett internal volume (internal airspace of cabinet, remembering to exclude driver, port & bracing volumes) and the dimensions (length+cross sectional area) of the port(s).   BMS give a suggested tuning on the pdf data sheet for this driver:

Cabinet 153 litres, round port 200mm diameter & 601mm length, for a tuning frequency of 28.5hz.

This is a good frequency to tune a driver capable of reproducing lower frequencies (20hz at -3db) and is a little above the speakers resonant frequency (it's a rule of thumb to tune port frequency to 1.07 times speaker resonance, this is a little more) as the port output will augment driver output for about a third of an octave below tuning frequency, as well as an octave or so above.

Of course, you could tune a different size box or use different port dimensions to achieve this tuning, or try to.lower it even - play around with an online port calculator. Bigger boxes go lower easier, smaller ports chuff at high output - again, you can use online resources to simulate this, but you've got a fair bit of leeway, I'd guess anything between 125 & 300 litres would be doable.

To give you an idea of dimensions, a 153 litre internal box would be about 5.2cubic feet internally, or about 3' x 2' x 1' externally.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 28 April 2017 at 9:16pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:14pm
Ehh again and again the same Author has specific needs for specific genres. He doesnt need the most universal or commercially suitable construction.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:22pm
He's asking about very low frequency reproduction and had expressly asked about the BMS. I've no experience with this driver, but I've indicated the resources and an approach to take.

By all means feel free to contribute constructive criticism, particular given the presumed experience and woodwork skills of the OP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>