Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best combination for 15+2'' cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best combination for 15+2'' cab
    Posted: 12 March 2015 at 6:14pm
Hi, I have lots of cheap gigs that usually just ask for 2 15'' boxes with no sub, usually DJ only, small places, 100pax or less, did a lot of online digging these last weeks and I'm leaning towards passive boxes with XTI or similar power. I also like quality, so I would sacrifice some ROI to have better sound/ more durable boxes. Narrowed local offerings to these choices:

FANE PRO 15-500 or 15-600 ( the cheapest, by far, I can buy 2 drivers for the price of 1 rcf )
B&C 15CL76 ( lighter one )
RCF L15P540 ( most expensive option )

I would need the best combo of durability / sound quality. For drivers I'm between B&C DE64TN and 18sound HD2080, horn 90 degrees conical.

Also, I'm worried if an off the shelf crossover would do a good job? something like 1200Hz 24LR plus a tap on the HF, I'm thinking maybe a mod will allow for a trimpot gain reduction on the driver?

Thanks for any input :)

Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 6:30pm
hi i started a smililar thread that may have some useful info

http://forum.speakerplans.com/15-driver-for-reflex-top_topic89686_page1.html

Originally posted by Heathrow_B_line Heathrow_B_line wrote:

to conclude i think on paper  the best sounding value for money option would be

1" BMS 4550 on Faital LTH102 horn crossed at 1khz to a PD153ER

I also learnt the higher you cross the 15" the more 'beaming' of frequencies you get.

Considering 2 x 12" + 1 x 1" now

thanks for all the input people!

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 6:31pm
Fane do a complete cab now, think Paulie Paul has some?
It's everything, not everythink!
Cobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 6:39pm
Reading it, but I'm located outside of europe, so no PD, p-audio or BMS, only a few models of fane, B&C and rcf. There's also JBL and eminence but they are too expensive. Selenium too, but I usually don't like their specs.

Will check with fane's dealer about the complete cabs tho.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 7:29pm
This beaming we are warned about, in a 2 speakers on sticks enviroment some quiet areas may actually be a good thing? Not all jobs need full coverage, nor do DJ monitors (nice with higher x-over) or drum fills, as they are both pointing at the target. I actually think that cabs that cross too low into comps are harsh, my personal pref is as Opus Jody, sacrifice a bit of beaming for some Hi-Fi.
It's everything, not everythink!
Cobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 7:59pm
Yes, but i think it should be compatible with the horn anyway, if it was a 60 degree design or narrower a higher x-over point could be accepted, if not standing off axis would give an inadequate response on mids. As for harshness, I usually subrent some LA215 and I find the overwall sound vary good for DJ applicatons, not so much for live sound, a little less detailed on mids but better bass response for house/dance than the 12'' + 18'' combo.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 8:28pm
try the 15ndl76 in 55liter tuned to ~60hz. for fullrange add a little EQ on the tuning.

SelectaRon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SelectaRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 10:21pm
15NW76 will have some more low end power since youre using them for DJ's 

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 11:21pm
Between B&C and RCF you should be spoilt for choice.

Personally I use a B&C 15NW76 with an 18Sound ND1424BT on XR1464, however you could easily subsitute the B&C ME90 or RCF HF64 horn flares and a compression driver to match your budget.
Cobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 12:57am
Is it worth the price difference between 15cl76 and 15ndl76 ? About 20% higher. Local dealer does no stock 15NW76 :/ Quoting prices for ND1424BT.

Thanks for the input, so far :]

Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 7:17am
It depends on your budget. If there is somethibg i have learnt though over the last few years it is that you should always buy the best bit of kit that you can afford as it will always be worth it in the end. As the quality of your system improves, you really start to notice its shortcomings if it has any(and trust me, any system will have them).
Chris (ceharden) is just spoiled with top notch drivers (as i must admit so am i), however i think he will testify that this is totally 100% worth the money.
Best regards,
Teun.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 7:13pm
I must admit that I bought the drivers quite a few years ago before the Neo price hike and when the Euro-Sterling rate was very good.  I couldn't afford to buy the same ones now, I'd probably have to go ferrite.

I will say I've been very impressed by some of the RCF drivers I've used recently and they seem to be more affordable than B&C and 18Sound.

As Teunos has said above, it is very much worthwhile buying the best drivers you can afford.  The more budget ones will either get blown trying to get the levels you want out of them or you'll just find yourself wanting to upgrade a few months or a year later.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>