Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best combination for 15+2'' cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 7:52pm
15ndl76 is 180€ here. not that many high class ferrit 15" that are cheaper imo.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 8:28pm
Whats your budget for this?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Tweeter_Box View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweeter_Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 1:32pm
Marjan what driver do you recomend upto £150?
https://www.facebook.com/PurpleAudioRecords
Cobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 10:31pm
Discussing values won' do much good, I'm afraid, speaker pricing around here is almost random. Eminence Kappa pro 15a price is higher than the b&c 15cl76. But as a guide, I think the 15'' below U$200 and the driver under U$300.

I talked on the phone with the local B&C rep and probably I'm going with one of the two suggested designs, they use a 1.4'' instead of a 2'', but I guess it's enough. Only problem is that the suggested components go a bit over my budget, maybe I can replace 15nw76 with 15ndl76? 
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 10:44pm
IMHO the Behringer EUROLIVE B215 is the best 15" +1" you can get, is sounds just as bad as the competition but @ £135 you won't be in tears when you finally bin it...

Which will be 120sec after you hear it...

The 15+Hf has always been a total car crash, ok for an LE-400b that has been HPF @ 120Hz but to think a 15 will get upto a 1" whilst still doing bass and producing any mid at all is pretty silly.

Nexo proved this, PS-10 great, PS-15 should never have been screwed together...
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 11:38pm
i used to have some TEK  15 +1  cabs which was loaded with pd153er and de25 crossed over around 2k if i remember rightly

although the cab was a little on the large size and fookin heavey it sounded very good , very smooth on the vocals and plenty of bass ,

so i think it can be done with the right drivers and the bms 1" comps can go down to 1200hz and still sound good so would probably be a good combo

Edited by krazyneil - 15 March 2015 at 11:38pm
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 11:55pm
15" + 1" is never going to work for anything other than cheap disco cabs.  However it is possible to get good (not perfect but usable) results from a 15" + 1.4"/2".  The PS15 is a bad example because they tried to make a full-range 2-way box so everything is a compromise.  If you accept that you can lose a bit of low end, chose a lighter cone, nudge the crossover up slightly so the compression driver isn't straining at the low end then it's not too bad.

Incidentally, don't think that a 1.4" is inferior to a 2" because it's a lower number!  Small format compression drivers usually have a 1.7" diaphragm and a 1" throat.  Larger format drivers generally have a 3" diaphragm and either a 1.4" or 2" throat, often manufacturers do very similar drivers in both options.  You'll probably find a better selection of 1.4" drivers and horns as they tend to be more popular nowadays.  There are also some good 1.4" drivers with 2.5" diaphragms available now (eg the ND1424 I use) which won't go quite as low as a 3" but tend to work quite well in this kind of box.

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 12:34am
The (I think) BMS co-axial compression driver ( the one Bee used on his 12"+HF horn and Void use on the active Air10) helps with this as you can bring the 1" in @ 8Kkhz as the 2" runs out of steam but that doe leave you with a 3 way cab, which of course should be fully active!!!!!!
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 9:06am
I think the argument about whether 15 and 2 produces any mid depends on if the end user ( the audience)is physically listening out for mid, or just waiting for achey breaky heart?

Just sold my ad lib cabs, for 500 euros, JBL 226 and de75 horns, missing them already although I had not used them in years lol
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 10:27am
4550 can be crosed at 1 khz. That is plenty low to meet a 15 inch driver.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 2:52pm
[QUOTE=kevin tyler]I think the argument about whether 15 and 2 produces any mid depends on if the end user ( the audience)is physically listening out for mid, or just waiting for achey breaky heart?
/QUOTE] Clap

You'd think this was a hi-fi forum sometimes.

Light cone 15 to 1" can do the job, agreed if you want 500w of 50hz you are going to lose mid.

Millions of Peaveys, JBL's etc, etc doing a good enough job.

I have four JRX115, the horrid comp has been replaced with a Beymcd10fe, the mid is actually very smooth when used as mid tops, and good enough all round full range for iPod parties. Crappy litlle 2.5" 15 driver that makes the compromise well.
 I have owned a pair of RCFL15c 06c (RMJ) with CP350ti on a 1.6 crossover, they were very good at bass, people looked for the sub that wasn't there,  and local pub singers loved them.
It's everything, not everythink!
Cobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 3:11pm
I was using JRX115, reasonable for the size but dreadful HF. Guess anything from that would be an upgrade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>