Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best driver for hog scoop?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best driver for hog scoop?
    Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:31pm
Hi
Looking to load 2 and very soon 4 hogs and am wondering what the best driver to load them with would be? Heard alot of good things about the PD1850 but also read a thread in which multiple people said the Oberton xb1500 killed both the PD and the Void. Can anyone clear this up? Gonna be mainly using these scoops for DnB, Tekno, Bassline and Neurofunk
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:20pm
oberton xb1500 is best suited to small chamber horns. Brad chipling from scream audio builds tested loads of different drivers and his personal preference was the xb1600 I think.
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:07pm
Don't think there is a 'best' driver/sound....depends what you're after. i.e. PD1850 in hog is generally more dirty grunty bass but Void-loaded hogs....so warm, deep and musical...i love mine :)

lots of people rating the 18Sound in hogs too...

We need a showdown! I can provide Void hogs...got some mates with 18Sound and PD hogs....anyone with the Oberton's? Tongue

Edited by KingGwarn - 14 May 2018 at 6:08pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:19pm
OLD topic, you can find lot of this topics around here from years and years.
Anyway, i would say oberton 1600 performs really good, both with B&CSW115, one of the more balanced and very nice performing (even staipe ercegovic said).
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:31pm
Still waiting for someone to try out the now not so new b&c ds115.
Leru where you heard 1600 , we have 1500xbs in ours.
I dont know how many times i wrote this here already haha , if you are after a sound with faster transients (not boomy ) and lotsa  spl get the 1500 for sure, I think the 1600 would be a bit more looser.
That is all implying you have a amp which can control it properly.

LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:03pm
Ok so i listened 1500xbs Tongue
Don't think DS115 would be a real improvement.. I had much talks with another guy that bought them, and tested in simple vented cab.. I don't bet they sound better or any louder, but could be they can survive to more power thanks to a better termal dissipation and improved design..
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:10pm
Quote  I don't bet they sound better or any louder, but could be they can survive to more power thanks to a better termal dissipation and improved design..
If they have considerably better thermal dissipation and improved design then they'll have lower power compression for the same SPL level. So they will be louder, especially if you plan to drive them hard for long events or in hot environments. 

Edited by Hemisphere - 14 May 2018 at 8:11pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:18pm
You're right, but still i don't think there are much differences... both have very low power compression, just they claim the DS115 is better in that.. don't know. They guy mesured them, but i now don't remeber exactly what he said, just nothing very special.. BTW they claim 2,2% efficiency, while the SW115 still is rated 1,9%, so extra BL and slightly lower Re & Mms help in this.. Could be BL vs Displacement is different also.. We should try, i wanted to buy some for test them, but I am so good with SW that i don't think it's a deal.. will see..

Edited by LeruSound - 14 May 2018 at 8:32pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:52pm
It's very difficult to guess true power compression ratings, but 12kg is pretty high for a neo 18 while 16.8kg is not so much for a ferrite 18.

Probably not much in it though - it's only 400w more AES.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:44am
You're not wrong, but I wouldn't relate that much power compression to the magnet size and mass, ofc it plays a part in power dissipation, but guess the more stays in VC/GAP & ventilation design.. anyway, I don't know this for sure, it's just my suggestions, what you all think? I know and I heard lot of ferrite drivers suffering from P.C. while others NEO where pretty much handling the power..

Edited by LeruSound - 15 May 2018 at 7:48am
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:36am
2.2% efficiency, or 1.9% efficiency is a very moot point.
If they measure at different freq range, it wont be comparable. And usually that number is taken from the 100-500hz range, which has nothing to do with 30-80Hz efficiency.

Spec are very difficult to compare because many things are measured differently.
Only way to know for sure is to measure your self in the exact box you want it  to be used with.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply