Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Driver for Mini Scoop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 11:39pm
you have to remember there is a significant difference between playing a couple of subs at a nice level for a small event and the arms race for the heaviest bass from the smallest number of cabs.

Buy the Voids, they will do better in a scoop than the 18TBX100.

Power them with whatever amp you have and dont let it clip. You will get a good amount of bass that will be fine for most small events.

Later down the line you can buy a bigger amp and get more from the drivers but 600w into a void gives a surprising amount of bass, putting 2000w into them doesnt really get that much more and tbh if you need to be doing that then you really need 4 subs not 2.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 10:31am
Its not about finances as there are amps that will perform better on bass for £100 - £150 like a bridged studiomaster 1600d for example. Its just about knowing what to buy. For around the same resale price of your xti you could probably buy a jbl mpx1200. Proven bass amp for quality and spl and reliability. If you can sell what you have and upgrade for no extra cost its a no brainer. Later on if you could sell the xbs and buy used 51s without having to spend a huge significant sum.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
Casual1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 1:36pm
It's certainly my plan to sell off some of my surplus gear to raise funds for the better drivers and bass amp I know that need, but unfortunately I'm not getting any takers for the equipment I'm looking to sell at the moment. I haven't listed the Crown XTi4000 yet and perhaps that would sell more quickly. I think if I could raise the funds for a pair of used Void V18-1000s and a suitable used bass amp to run them I would be sorted. I think I would probably need to raise about a grand to get what I need.

Looking at the specs for the Studiomaster 1200D I would have thought that the Studiomaster AX3500 I've already got would be a better option. Its certainly considerably more powerful as it will output 2900W bridged at 4 ohms.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 1:50pm
What would you recommend as being the best used amp (up to £600) to run a pair of scoops loaded with Void V18-1000s (or PD1851s if I end up with those instead)?

Edited by Casual1977 - 26 October 2022 at 1:52pm
cardiffdon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardiffdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 5:13pm
SAE PXM 1450

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 5:36pm
Yeah that looks like it would certainly fit the bill but I think I will be hard pushed to find one when I need one. I've just done a quick search and can't find any used ones for sale at the moment.

Are any of the 1U class D amps any good for powering subs? Something like the Soundgear Jupiter/PKN/Powersoft amps.... or are they only really suitable for mid-tops? Storage space and my back are both issues so something smaller and lighter would be helpful.
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 1:32am
Yeah, I would go with any of these if you can find them even CVR

SAE 1450

Crest CA18

Soundgear Saturn 16

Elements CK26

Soundbite
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

you have to remember there is a significant difference between playing a couple of subs at a nice level for a small event and the arms race for the heaviest bass from the smallest number of cabs.

Buy the Voids, they will do better in a scoop than the 18TBX100.

Power them with whatever amp you have and dont let it clip. You will get a good amount of bass that will be fine for most small events.

This.

There is something un-godly about the way Void V18-1000, can play in tight smaller chamber scoops, or large chamber Mini Scoops, like the Staiper/Shorty mini. Personally think Rog placed combination of Pixie dust, and Dragon's toe nails in the voice coils.. LOL

Actually, years of testing has revealed, certain T/S parms, explain the driver's willingness to go to town in a small chamber, with tight throat.

And in a Scoop with large chamber, the High BL, and very respectable Xmax, keep driver in control, with authority.

As said previously, for Reggae applications, bass pre-amp strongly suggested, to extract optimal sub response, for this in a Scoop.

Edited by levyte357- - 27 October 2022 at 12:54pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 3:36pm
Thanks.... I think a pair of Void V18-1000s are definitely on my shopping list now. It would actually be quite fitting given that I'm a big fan of Void gear and most of my mid-tops are Void. I don't suppose anyone has got a used pair they would be interested in selling?

Does it change any of the advice you have given if I tell you that this system won't be used for any reggae and will mainly be used for minimal house and deep tech?

I've never used a bass pre-amp before. Is there a particular make/model you would recommend me looking at? Could I achieve the same result using a DBX Driverack?

Edited by Casual1977 - 27 October 2022 at 4:01pm
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Casual1977 Casual1977 wrote:

Thanks.... I think a pair of Void V18-1000s are definitely on my shopping list now. It would actually be quite fitting given that I'm a big fan of Void gear and most of my mid-tops are Void. I don't suppose anyone has got a used pair they would be interested in selling?

Does it change any of the advice you have given if I tell you that this system won't be used for any reggae and will mainly be used for minimal house and deep tech?

I've never used a bass pre-amp before. Is there a particular make/model you would recommend me looking at? Could I achieve the same result using a DBX Driverack?

Would suggest you sell cabs, and use 2x18 reflex instead, and load them with FANE 18XB.

Scoops not really fit for your purpose, and you won't need a pre-amp.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 9:28pm
A pile of B&C Sub18s would do a better job for that genre of music that miniscoops

As Lev stated....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 12:07am
Thats interesting to hear. I didn't realise that the scoops wouldn't lend themselves well to house music. Perhaps selling the mini scoops and reinvesting on a pair of decent reflex cabs would be the way to go then.

Are reflex cabs generally considered to be the best design for house music or is there something else I should also consider?

Edited by Casual1977 - 28 October 2022 at 1:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>