Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Driver for Mini Scoop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Casual1977 Casual1977 wrote:

Thats interesting to hear. I didn't realise that the scoops wouldn't lend themselves well to house music. Perhaps selling the mini scoops and reinvesting on a pair of decent reflex cabs would be the way to go then.

Are reflex cabs generally considered to be the best design for house music or is there something else I should also consider?

It's mostly the fact that especially full size scoops exhibit a dip in their frequency response that is proportional to the horn lenght. Depending on the specific design  and horn lenght, the dip occurs somewhere between 80- 150 Hz. It happens due to complex  acoustic cancelations and resulting phase anomalies.

This can de-emphasize the kick drum impact.

The big question is how much this also applies to miniscoops such as your cabinets. Some empirical data has been shown on this forum that suggests that (at least some, but possibly not all?) miniscoops behave a bit more alike to reflex boxes, but it is a controversial subject, especially for traditionalists like Lev.

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 10:09am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Originally posted by Casual1977 Casual1977 wrote:

Thats interesting to hear. I didn't realise that the scoops wouldn't lend themselves well to house music. Perhaps selling the mini scoops and reinvesting on a pair of decent reflex cabs would be the way to go then.

Are reflex cabs generally considered to be the best design for house music or is there something else I should also consider?

It's mostly the fact that especially full size scoops exhibit a dip in their frequency response that is proportional to the horn lenght. Depending on the specific design  and horn lenght, the dip occurs somewhere between 80- 150 Hz. It happens due to complex  acoustic cancelations and resulting phase anomalies.

This can de-emphasize the kick drum impact.

The big question is how much this also applies to miniscoops such as your cabinets. Some empirical data has been shown on this forum that suggests that (at least some, but possibly not all?) miniscoops behave a bit more alike to reflex boxes, but it is a controversial subject, especially for traditionalists like Lev.

The fact that you said for full Scoops, dip depends on design, and freq range  varies,  and mini Scoop characteristics, vary on design,  makes your statement, not controversial at all.

Results  people gain with Scoops, all dependent on drivers,  cab designs, processing, boosts/cuts, freq range used.

So people getting different results is to be expected, but generalisations, can sometimes be irritating.

Just as I have learnt to accept, there are many FLH that are just 55hz capable, not matter how many used, then you have the glorious WSX, and others.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Casual1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 10:19am
I can see how the dip between 80 - 150Hz would be detrimental if I was running a 2-way system but I have some Fane 15XB reflex cabs that would handle the 80 - 200Hz range. Would that negate the issue with the mini scoop for house music issue if I only ran the scoops between say 38 - 80Hz of am I still better going down the reflex cab route?
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 11:58am
reflex all the way Smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 12:05pm
Okay, reflex it is then.... So has anyone got a decent pair of loaded reflex cabs they would be interested in swapping for a pair of Fane 18XB loaded Mini Scoops??

Or anyone interested in buying a pair of very well built mini scoops either loaded or unloaded?
hi grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 1:47pm
How about you try your minis first and see if they work for you. You would be crazy to be buying and selling based on members opinions when some have never tried tested the above combo.

Find out what you do and don't like before you spend your cash !
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 1:51pm
I did a deep house night with 4 large chamber minis and it was devastating (in a good way) but that was deep house proper basslines. Not the usual boof boof type that people tend to think about when you mention house. £600 finds plenty of amps for 2 V18s, some amps would power 4, and tiny bit more budget can get amps that will power 6
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
hi grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 1:59pm
I did some house gigs and had the same results acualy could not beleave what 4 minis was doing  with a budget amp 1851 loaded 

Edited by hi grade - 28 October 2022 at 2:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 2:08pm
I suppose I'm just following the advice of people who know the scoops and their capabilities more than I do and trusting their judgement. When I bought the scoops I hoped they would give something extra above a standard reflex cab and it hadn't occurred to me that they would unsuitable for the kind of music they will largely be used for.

I've got an event coming up next week with a highly regarded Fabric resident so unless I can get something sorted in the next few days I will be going with the scoops to see what I think. I actually managed to do an A B test against some B&C loaded reflex cabs I already own last night and whilst there wasn't much in it, I would say that the scoops loaded with the Fanes edged it, so hopefully they will do a job next week and then I'll contemplate my options ready for the new year (unless someone particularly fancies the scoops in the meantime).

Edited by Casual1977 - 28 October 2022 at 3:22pm
hi grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 2:33pm
You will find different frequency and tweaks in different rooms at different distance  will all make a massive difference 

And when its all said and done it all comes down to horses for courses ! 
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by hi grade hi grade wrote:

I did some house gigs and had the same results acualy could not beleave what 4 minis was doing  with a budget amp 1851 loaded 

Exactly Clap alot of people that comment base their responses on things they've read, rathher than what they've actually done.

Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 6:08pm
Well it's certainly reassuring to hear that some people have used mini scoops for house music and been happy with their performance. I'll almost certainly give them a go next week now and see what I think to them. I'm interested to hear what they could do loaded with a pair of Void V18-1000s too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>