Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best horn for BMS 4544 CD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best horn for BMS 4544 CD
    Posted: 31 October 2011 at 8:41pm
Hi guys,

I currently have a set of double 12'' (BMS 12N620) and 4544 (on a Celestion H1-9040P horn) bassreflex tops and they sound amazing on low listening levels.
I cross the CD at 1300 hz (24 but.)

But now my problem, when I play guitar heavy music at high volume they start to sound (very) harsh, some EQ makes it sound better but still not how I like it to be.

So I thought it may be the horn causing problems, what kind of horn do you guy's suggest is best for this combination?
Heard good things about the 18sound horns like the 18sound XT 120 and XT 1086 ?
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2011 at 8:43pm
Tony Wilkes is the man to ask about bms Thumbs Up
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2011 at 9:30pm
Faital LTH102  Thumbs Up

You will find that on a lot of horns the 4544 4550 and 4552nd need to have the region around 5K reduced by up to around 5db. This makes an enormous difference to the sound at high levels. Try a PEQ with a reduction of 4db and around 0.8 oct bandwidth.
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 9:26am
I used the XT1086 and 4544 together on some tops. They were the best bit of that cab, it was a shame the mid section didn't work as well so consequently I don't have them any more. The XT1086 'sounds' more beamy than the polar plots suggest IMO but I do like them and just got some more.
Don't test the champignon sound
synaesthesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote synaesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 12:09pm
In Dieter Achenbach's quick test of different horn / driver combinations, the RCF HF94 (cd) and the PAudio PH230 (birad.) won against 15 other horn's on the BMS 4544.

i have tried to translate the classification system from german into english, please follow the link for the horn driver combination test:

http://lsv-achenbach.de/horn_treiberkombis.htm

++very good lineraity and constantly dispertion
+nearly good linerarity and dispertion
O+good average
Ousable with restrictions
O-average
-useless, extremely wavy frequency response
XMounting is not possible

Edited by synaesthesia - 19 November 2011 at 12:19pm
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 1:07pm
Thanks, thats an extremely useful chart. Its nice to see that someone who has obviously been systematic about their testing has put up their results.

Its interesting that amongst all the drivers tested they find the 4544 the most tolerant of putting on 'any old horn'.
Don't test the champignon sound
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 1:35pm
what's going on with the beyma td235 horn there?
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

Thanks, thats an extremely useful chart. Its nice to see that someone who has obviously been systematic about their testing has put up their results.

Its interesting that amongst all the drivers tested they find the 4544 the most tolerant of putting on 'any old horn'.

Could well be down to its exit angle.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 4:11pm

From the chart it seems to me that a compression driver with a “useless, extremely wavy frequency response” does not miraculously get a flat response if put in a different horn, and vice versa. Some response plots and polar patterns would have been more useful.

Larger horns should provide better loading at lower frequencies. Using a horn that is too small will affect the frequency response at lower frequencies.

Horns with abrupt changes in cross-sectional area and wall angle cause reflections back down the horn (as does too small a mouth area). This too will cause dips and peaks in response. It also causes the infamous horn honk sound.

In choosing a horn decide on the frequency range and dispersion angle you need. That will basically dictate the mouth size and length of the horn. Also try and match the dispersion angle, at cross-over, with that of the drive unit covering the  frequency range below it.

With an even coverage, if you flatten the response on axis it will be flat off axis too. A wavy frequency response does not automatically render a drive unit useless.

Post Reply Post Reply