Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Linux Distros 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Linux Distros 2013
    Posted: 06 April 2013 at 7:00pm
Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/708977-the-2013-top-7-best-linux-distributions-for-you

Just broke Centos, trying to get app to work, so it's off my laptop forever.

Will prob it on my spare desktop, but for now looking for best Laptop Linux.

Contenders at the moment are Mint vs Arch Linux

Edited by levyte357- - 06 April 2013 at 7:02pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
soundchippy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 11:33pm
As the mighty Ubuntu 10.04 LTS' support ends this month i have bitten the bullet and upgraded to 12.04 LTS on my ageing IBM X60s. Despite being a Unity hater I have managed to get it set up pretty nicely and it runs just as well as 10.04.
Knowing 10.04's time was up I tried a load of other distros with traditional gnome2 style interfaces but none really did it for me. Fuduntu was prob the best one however it uses the fedora package system which i didnt like.

Right now my vote is with 12.04.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 1:16am
Just installed Mint, and first impressions are good.

Had me cursing at first during install, when GParted couldn't delete Centos lvm partition, after unclean shutdown.

However lvremove sorted that, so all good so far.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 10:13pm
are you using mate or cinnamon?

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 10:58pm
Slax. Always Slax. Do it properly or don't bother.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 11:12pm
I'm running plain old Debian on everything, mostly servers.  I still haven't really got into Linux desktops.  One day....

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 11:17pm
i heard this is the year of the linux desktop.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 11:34pm
Once I've dealt with the death of my server (not OS related), I might think about Linux on a desktop again!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2013 at 12:29am
What is everyone's criteria for judging? Mine is productivity.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2013 at 1:01am
i think distros are really down to stuff like package management and package selection. how well maintained and updated etc the repos are. do they have what you need?
config files and stuff like that. if they're set up in a way that suits you / works well.
installer... is obviously important but if it's right you won't use it much because your systems will be installed.
stuff like window managers.. they're basically applications really. any distro that suits you should have a good choice of things like that.

i use arch linux on my daily desktops. i used to be much more geeky about computers. spend hours staying up all night trying to get weird distros installed on weird computers or whatever just for the hell of it. can't be arsed with any of that any more. i like arch because.. you install it and you just have a base system. then you install the things you want to be there. window manager, login manager, applications.. whatever. and it's rolling release. i love rolling release. what keeps me away from debian / ubuntu etc is the whole apt-get upgrade / update thing when a new "version" appears.

i'm sleepy and i can feel a load of aimless blah blah coming out of me.. but it's sort of as a response to soundchippy.

isn't productivity down to your applicaions working etc?
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2013 at 1:24am
Real men use Gentoo.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2013 at 1:30am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

isn't productivity down to your applicaions working etc?

yes it is but along with a big wedge of subjective extras pretty much as you've outlined in your last post. for example, i just can get anything done on a kde desktop even if it is on top of ubuntu.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>