Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Best" Reflex drivers atm?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Best" Reflex drivers atm?
    Posted: 20 January 2015 at 9:47pm
Well after everything we had went into smoke i am curious which way to go next..

Think reflex subs are still the most versatile for any type of music and size.
Power is cheap, most venues here have enough electricity aswell..

Basically looking for your suggestions on suitable drivers:

30-140hz (140 at a stretch, i am well aware a big Xmax 18" wont really "kick" that much)
as compact as possible, needs to be managable alone at a stretch..
Definately Neo this time to save some weight..
:) Basically the best driver for the most compact, efficient yet ground shaking reflex cab lol

Last reference are bms 18s450s in Tonys modded Q18s - nice alround bass, could do with some more authority down low other than that as good as it gets imo, even upto 140hz..

Money not that much of an object, rather spend some more on the driver but have a "state of the art" sub section that doesnt need to hide behind any commercial product..
(within reason of course but guess you know what i mean)

Thanks in advance as always!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 1:51pm
Speak to CSG and get some of his old boxes, if he still has any spare. Line-X'd, BMS loaded, sound bloody lovely and look like a d&b project for the people that want that sort of thing!
+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 3:46pm
Check with Marjan M. I think he has a favourite 18" which both go low and kick.

Edited by +/-3dB - 21 January 2015 at 3:47pm
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 6:53pm
Volt or BMS for me. There's loadsa drivers I've not heard though.

Edit: oops, you said neo. I guess not Volt yet.

Edited by Meat - 21 January 2015 at 6:55pm
Don't test the champignon sound
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 12:48am
Kyle, i have heard chris cabs at GP.. not an upgrade to our much more compact ones imo, dont get me started on d&b again lol

Will talk to marjan asap, thought some on here have their own experiences they might want to share..

As it seems to me both SB28s and Codas big boys are more or less the best one could get?
Both loaded with 18N862, not sure if OEMd for different reasons though.

Any speaker is a compromise as we all know, trick is to find the right ones for your main applications :)

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 1:30am
As i am aware of SB28 is 18N850, not 18N862.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 1:53am
oops, i stand corrected, just going by stated specs they suggest same drivers imo..

Now that your joining the discussion Marjan, which ones have you tried and which ones have you gone for at the end of it?

b&c does not seem to offer anything special, BMS drivers may have their issues as u know but still seem some of the most regarded out there, 18sound has a few nice ones aswell, just not enough Xmax on regular products..

Maybe i am looking for something that does not exist for now due to the same old technology?
( A cab that could easily cope with 2kW if one needs to get the last couple db for a "budget" bashment, a cab thats about 150l net max 50kg weight, 30ish -3db, 130ish without loosing necessary speed to reproduce kickdrums or EDM)

Quite happy to consider "pro" cabs if not priced exorbitantly :)

Any ideas?

corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 3:33am
18sound 18nlw9601 ist the best available chassis on the free market for what you want imo, the BMS are more pure infra chassis in my view(ofcourse with impressive xmax figures).
Marjans choice aswell... ;)
It wont be that effective, but they need a small box(very small VAS), go low, are neo 5,3" VC, and can handle 3kw.
if the box can be bigger, look at 18nlw9000, smaller mms => bigger vas.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 10:03am
Yes i do use 18NLW9601, but it was chosen for more then one reason over the BMS. Its bigger VC means it can dissipate more heat, its 2db more sensitive then 18N862 and it can take 2KW day and night no mater the program material.
I never considered 18N850 to be honest for my own boxes because its basicaly same price to me as the 18NLW9601. So the choice was a not brainer.
if i ever decide to make an infra sub, then for sure the 18N860 is the one i would chose. Its not on the BMS site anymore but it can be build per order.

For a more general reflex box 18S430 is the one i use. It is better then TBX100 or LW2400. Lot cheaper then the 18NLW9601 or 18N850.

One more thing to add. 150lit box in my opinion is way too small. That is why you are pushing it too much and adding eq on the low end. Because it cant reproduce it without it.
If you want a reflex box to go low and loud, it needs volume. Try 220lit internal volume next time. The box will do the low notes much easier then in the 150 lit box. The driver will be much less stressed too.
I never believed in those BP6 boxes. Give a me box that do not need eq any day.

Edited by MarjanM - 22 January 2015 at 10:07am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
badman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 5:44pm
why not  the 18nlw9000/1 for a bass reflex?  same frame and diameter VC.  more sensitiive.... 
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 6:51pm
Beacuse 9601 gives like 2db more at 40hz then the 9000 :-). i have them both.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2015 at 9:55am
Marjan, i remember you had a OEM version made for you by 18S?
Whats the main difference you needed?
How many top of the range drivers have you compared?

Kyle, have you compared your stasys Xv2 against SB28s or PW418s by any chance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>