Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best solvent to dissolve voice coil to cone glue?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best solvent to dissolve voice coil to cone glue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fūjin-Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best solvent to dissolve voice coil to cone glue?
    Posted: 06 February 2024 at 9:12pm
Hey all, me and my freinds have recently found ourselves in the position of getting a blown pd186 speaker at a quite low price alongside two other working ones. As far as i can tell from push testing it appears to be the voice coil that has "shuffled off this mortal coil" (very original joke) there is no damage or deformity to the cone that i can detect that would seem to indicate that i needed to do a full recone. However there is the obvious problem of just how i remove that voice coil without affecting the Output. I am not looking at recoiling the cylinder

Of course i could attempt my hand at surgery, however my gut tells me this is a pretty stupid idea. I was wondering more if the Sealant connecting the cone to the voice coil could in any way be disolved by some sort of solvent. 

Does anyone have any idea what a good substance to dissolve the glue line around the voice coil is? Without damaging the cone of course.
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2024 at 9:52pm
A google search said that voice coil glues tend to be cyanoacrylates or other acrylates. 

Most of those I've worked with will go in acetone fairly easily and that's probably your best bet if you're going down that road.
Fūjin-Audio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fūjin-Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2024 at 10:13pm
thank you, yes i think i probably will. If i could get a recone kit for that driver over here without paying so much for shipping i would probably do that. i think they might have some superglue dissolver laying around at work so ill have a try at it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply