Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best SOUNDING 18 inch. in a 150 litre enclousure.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best SOUNDING 18 inch. in a 150 litre enclousure.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by ArthurG ArthurG wrote:

oooh and don't dream too much, "punchy, fast, accurate ,Deep bass" is very difficult to get with a single box. It's always a compromise between punch and deep....

Clap

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Zebulba1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebulba1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 1:34pm
Ok i see.

Any advice regarding the port depth.

Like the rule of thump regarding the depth and the sound..Like if the port its too Deep it will sound slow, and if it is too short it will sound too boomey
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 2:24pm
'Rule of thump...' Big smile
Be seeing you.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 2:46pm

Originally posted by Zebulba1 Zebulba1 wrote:

Ok i see.

Any advice regarding the port depth.

Like the rule of thump regarding the depth and the sound..Like if the port its too Deep it will sound slow, and if it is too short it will sound too boomey

The length of the port is based on the tuning frequency. What you are mentioning has nothing to do with the depth of the port. For what you are aiming for, you would have better options with fifteen-inch drivers, as you are not looking to achieve a very low response.

If you have your heart set on eighteen-inch drivers, just build the G Sub and use the FANE 18 XB. The G Sub was designed for that driver.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Zebulba1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebulba1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 8:15pm
Ok.

G-sub is unfortnally not an option, since im only myself to carry the speakers.

What ment ragarding the "rule og thump on the port length" was if there was some kind of coheasion between the port length and the sound it makes.

Im not thinking tuning and port turbolens-wise. More like sound quality wise.

Like if a short port made a certan kind of sound, and a long port another sound.

Brg.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 8:48pm

Originally posted by Zebulba1 Zebulba1 wrote:

Ok.

G-sub is unfortnally not an option, since im only myself to carry the speakers.

What ment ragarding the "rule og thump on the port length" was if there was some kind of coheasion between the port length and the sound it makes.

Im not thinking tuning and port turbolens-wise. More like sound quality wise.

Like if a short port made a certan kind of sound, and a long port another sound.

Brg.

I don’t know who is filling your head with this nonsense but, I would strongly suggest you stopping listening to him/her.

If the G Sub is too big then just cut them in half. Surely, you can carry half a G Sub?

Nevertheless, I think it is time for you to start learning the basics

http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/theories.html

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 9:13pm
Also the Fane Sovereign 18-800 sims very well in a 140 - 160 litre cab.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Zebulba1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebulba1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:13pm
Hi.

No one fills me head with nonsens (other than meself).

It was just a thought i had...sorry if it was silly.

I guess better safe than sorry...and now i know, so thanx.

And also thanx for the learning links. ill get to it right away.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by ArthurG ArthurG wrote:

oooh and don't dream too much, "punchy, fast, accurate ,Deep bass" is very difficult to get with a single box. It's always a compromise between punch and deep....

Clap
Single reflex you mean
Zebulba1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebulba1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:17pm
And no problem to carry half a g-sub btw.

Allredy read the link regarding design theroy, and i use bass box 6 pro to sim.
Foca_Dacian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 9:51am
What T/S tell you that a driver works in a small or in a large vented enclosure?I want to build a 155 liter box tunned to 40 hz with an 18 inch and want to double check if it works.Simulations say so.
F3@45 hz,I have to say decent for such a small enclosure.

Qes 0.3
Qms 13.6 
Qts 0.3
Vas 369.4 liters
Fs 30 hz
X-max 9.25 mm

Edited by Foca_Dacian - 29 June 2015 at 10:06am
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Foca_Dacian Foca_Dacian wrote:

What T/S tell you that a driver works in a small or in a large vented enclosure?I want to build a 155 liter box tunned to 40 hz with an 18 inch and want to double check if it works.Simulations say so.
F3@45 hz,I have to say decent for such a small enclosure.
Qes 0.3
Qms 13.6 
Qts 0.3
Vas 369.4 liters
Fs 30 hz
X-max 9.25 mm

It's an interaction between several, so it's best to model to be sure.

As a very rough rule of thumb:

If Qts is 0.4, then the driver will achieve a flat response with F3 = Fs in a box equal to Vas.
If Qts is lower, then it will want a box less than Vas to stay flat, but F3 will be higher than Fs, as you've already found.
If Qts is higher than 0.4, you may need a box larger than Vas to stop it pushing the response up in a hump about half an octave above tuning.

HTH,
David.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>