Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best UK Broadband Provider over phone line?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2009 at 4:47pm
These reccomendations are from ten years experience of talking ot ISP's on the phone in a rural area. Lightning strikes, wind, flooded exchanges and boxes.

Orange
Tiscali (Pipex)
Supanet
AOL
Talk Talk
Virgin
BT

In the order above I would like to kill them slowly. They will make your hair go grey. Sensless, mind numbing, often asian call centred crud.

The ones that have sense.

The two above play a good game. You pick the amount, they deliver, full speed day or night.
The technical support is second to none.

Utilities warehouse have been good on the phone, not in same league though

Eclipse used to be OK, still good support but slows in the evening.

Unlimited broadband does not exist. You will get the amount but the contention ratio will hamper performance IMHO.

Can't comment on BE
Am told PlusNet is good.

Honestly, use Zen or Fast and you will have the best support, in English and never regret it.
No long contracts either.

Edited by nickyburnell - 17 July 2009 at 4:53pm
It's everything, not everythink!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2009 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Unlimited broadband does not exist. You will get the amount but the contention ratio will hamper performance IMHO.

I dunno about that, I could show you some usage figures for a few Zen Office 8000 Max customers that would make your eyes water
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2009 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I dunno about that, I could show you some usage figures for a few Zen Office 8000 Max customers that would make your eyes water
OK, I stand corrected. It does and it's £79 a month. As indeed it should be.

Lev: Talk Talk! Come on, you're an IT pro!

Toasty, if indeed they are going over 50gb, are you still making money? Must be tight?
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2009 at 9:26pm

Toasty, if indeed they are going over 50gb, are you still making money? Must be tight?

Being totally honest, if you have the £35 a month package and you use all 50GB and don't buy any extra, we've lost a few pence. That'll be set to change when we move off Centrals and onto 21CN WBC/WBMC, which is much more reasonably priced for transit, however at the moment it's so badly broken it's ridiculous. I've had a test line for three months, and it's only just become stable in the past two weeks - and then only after 2Mbit of downstream sync has been knocked off by BT's DLM from when it was on normal DSL Max!
That was the last ditch effort on their part, after seven engineer visits, none of whom have the kit nor knowledge to test ADSL2+ connections... We'll only sell that network when we're happy that we can offer the same level of service on it that we do currently.

It's just that even with iPlayer and such, most customers don't use more than a few GB a month.

But we sell a product as unlimited, so unlimited it is. Being dishonest isn't our prerogative

Edited by toastyghost - 17 July 2009 at 9:29pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2009 at 10:02pm
BT and training!
 Morale must be really low. I've had OpenReach engineers claim to have demonstrated working BB that havn't even entered the customers house, at least that's what it says in their report. Over to the next guy more like, no understanding.

Edited by nickyburnell - 20 July 2009 at 7:21pm
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 6:08pm
Use a cable provider - so thattl be virgin then.

ADSL is a dying technology. Virgin is updating to DOCSIS3 - and it can always provide a better speed than any competitor. Ping time is low (for online gaming), and it not traffic shaped - so you can download whatever you like, no worries. If you download more than 20gig in the daytime (depending on your speed you are paying for)  (9am to pm) then they quarter your speed for the next day, but no other action is taken at all.

for a home user, its cable, for a business its still cable, or dedicated optical if you need to run serious services (symetrical up/ down).
unifiednick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unifiednick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by mrchay mrchay wrote:

ADSL is a dying technology. Virgin is updating to DOCSIS3 - and it can always provide a better speed than any competitor. Ping time is low (for online gaming), and it not traffic shaped - so you can download whatever you like, no worries. If you download more than 20gig in the daytime (depending on your speed you are paying for)  (9am to pm) then they quarter your speed for the next day, but no other action is taken at all.

for a home user, its cable, for a business its still cable, or dedicated optical if you need to run serious services (symetrical up/ down).

However cable isn't available in a great number of areas. Virgin media has a massive debt and is not currently cabling any new areas.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by mrchay mrchay wrote:

There is a place outside the city, people live there. Cable will never go there. It's the countryside!

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 7:43pm

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

[QUOTE=nickyburnell]

Lev: Talk Talk! Come on, you're an IT pro!

This may suprise some people, but if possible, I would have Virgin cable internet in a heartbeat.

No cable on my road (yet), so thats that..

Years ago, I used to regularly put people onto Zen, didnt know their service was still very decent.

Edited by levyte357 - 20 July 2009 at 10:25pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 8:05pm
Lev: I work for Zen, and whilst we aren't cheap we price things realistically. We (I!) also do the utmost to try and fix something when it goes wrong; you wouldn't be able to talk to TalkTalk staff about the use of bins, random electrical interference faults, etc. Hell, I bet you couldn't even ask them what an MSO is and get a straight answer

If it wouldn't jeopardise our progress in fixing the problems that caused them, I'd put some real horror stories about 21CN here. Let's just say that PlusNet are owned by BT and even they can't spot some basic stuff that we found out how to fix in the first few weeks of our testing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 9:29pm
Just come off the phone to a (older) lady who needs a new tower.
 In my usual way I check for non Vista (and 7) compatible stuff. Last question was who's your ISP, ZEN she says, I live far out, had never ending issues with BT, Zen sorted it in English she said.
This is the first non geek/game/business person I have come accross using Zen (plenty on Fast but thats due to me). Seems the word travels. She says the extra seven quid is worth every penny knowing the service is on the end of the phone.
 This whole asian call centre stuff will die in the end, I was brought up around those accents so have no problems but it must be hell for older people. The fact that they really know nothing except what is on their screen just compounds the issue. All the people out threr happy with their 15 quid BB, just wait till you get an issue. You gets what you pay for.
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:00pm
bethere.co.uk
hands down the best. fully unlimited adsl2+
only limit will be your physical proximity to the exchange. i get full 6-7mbit down and 1 up 24/7 and this is as fast as any adsl will run with my line attenuation.
excellent tech support and knowledgeable user base. couldn't recommend it more.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>