Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best UK Broadband Provider over phone line?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:38pm
Although it pains me to say it, I have been getting good results from BT!!!
Getting 5.2 mb download at 8PM on a sunday isnt too bad and they recently reduced my bill by almost 50% a month.
Ben_Lawrance View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben_Lawrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:33pm
Fast.co.uk is run by a mate of mine. Top service from a UK business at very good speeds with very low contention ratio.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 4:23pm
im on 02's ADSL service, only £10/month unlimited as a mobile customer, 8mb connection.

Been on it 2years, copes with 4 of us most the time, slows a bit in the evenings, but down our way, every service does!! (dont bother with virgin if you are more southwest than exeter, the lines are so over subscribed you get slower than standard ADSL!!).

UK call centres too which after a 20min que tend to sort things out very efficiently (if you can understand glasgow accents - i think the indians are easier to understand IMO lol).

Gud luck with whatever u get.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Ben_Lawrance Ben_Lawrance wrote:

Fast.co.uk is run by a mate of mine. Top service from a UK business at very good speeds with very low contention ratio.
The best, jointly with ZenThumbs Up
It just is.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Ben_Lawrance Ben_Lawrance wrote:

I'm just on the wind up here but what guaranteed contention ratio are they offering on DSL Max based services, and on 21CN?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 10:57pm
Absolutly no idea. However I spend all day in private and business premises in North Devon, day and eve. Unless it's witchcraft, the numbers are good here at home ;)
Having said that, 21cn is in my dreams (maybe nightmares) for now. Not planned apparently ;(

For the hell of it, my mate is on Zen, 800mtrs away from here, normal "8mb" service. His and mine are totally comparable in every way, no difference, we've checked, almost the same at all times.

So 21cn? Are they still doing it?Confused
It just is.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 12:30pm
They're definitely doing 21CN, if you're not on it already you will be soon. You do not have a choice in the matter, it's just that some rural areas are taking longer to get switched on.

Remember though that 21CN is not the same thing, nor a guarantee of ADSL2 or 2+ services.

The only reason I asked about guaranteed contention ratios is that they technically don't exist anymore for IPStream Max or 21CN based services, due to the way virtual paths are aggregated.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 5:59pm
Ahh, I see.
So it's a possibility that a non 21cn could be a better service than a 21cn on Max/2?
Progress!
It just is.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

Ahh, I see.
So it's a possibility that a non 21cn could be a better service than a 21cn on Max/2?

Progress!

It's not just a possibility, on some lines it's a fact. I had to move somebody back last month after exhausting all possible options for 21CN.

Unfortunately you really don't have a choice, you WILL be put on 21CN at some point before 2012 whether it breaks your circuit or not.
AME_Syst. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AME_Syst. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 1:41pm
Services for different network providers vary in different areas, I went trhough virgin bt and thehn sky, i thinkif we're following names i would personally go with sky, but if you want the convenience of not having to set up a landline virgin is the one ofr you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123