Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Van Damme XLR cable for LMS > Amps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknotice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Van Damme XLR cable for LMS > Amps
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:16pm
Hi guys,

What is the best Van Damme XLR cable to go from your LMS to your amps?

Is it the star quad?

Cheers
'why on earth do you need this much amplification?!'
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:26pm
Unless your LMS and amps are at the other end of the world, it's not actually going to make any difference at all.  The signal is at line level and balanced so the chances of picking up significant noise is highly unlikely.

Starquad is great for long microphone leads where you're dealing with small signals and you need to optimise your common mode rejection.

Any half-decent balanced mic or patch cable with reasonable quality XLR connectors will be fine.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:39am
For short patch leads in a rack that don't get coiled or moved a lot, the van damme install cable is fine - same cable inside, no thick (and in this case not needed) rubber jacket. Also, less cable mass in the back is better for airflow etc.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 7:10pm
A meter of so of 8 pair blue multicore (with outer completely stripped off) works well as it gives you numbered leads...

Edited by shagnasty - 04 May 2017 at 7:10pm
richardstringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:10pm
I always use Van Damme cables but I used to have some Peavey cables and some Pirahna ones too and I did notice that the Van Damme cables were better than the Peavey cables they were far less noisy. The Peavey ones were also balanced as well as the Van Damme but the Peavey cables had more hiss on my old pa system. These days I have Van Damme cables and some Lynx ones too which are great.
Teknotice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknotice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 2:47pm
Thanks once again SP!
'why on earth do you need this much amplification?!'
 Post Reply Post Reply