Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to seal a driver in acabinet ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 3:19pm
The drivers are usually fitted with a foam rubber seal which should stay attached to the chassis so no need to apply anything else.
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 3:38pm
Ok, thanks. Just tested both cabs, and they seem to be working ok at the moment so, maybe, it was dirty/corroded Speakon contacts due to exposure to the rain when used a couple of gigs ago.
Protect your hearing, and feel the music.

MU South East Roving Safety Rep.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 5:13pm
In all honesty I would be very surprised if its anything to do with corroded speaker pins - we have dozens of speaker systems that probably spend 50 days a year in poring rain with no weather protection, connected with NL4MPR sockets and have done for several years without a single connection issue. The detoxit stuff belongs in a hifi shop! Isopropanol or servisol no.10 is all you should ever need unless its larger than a 63/3, in which case contact grease is your friend.

If BMS drivers, you may want to check the tightness of the screws holding the diaphragm onto the magnet, we torque ours around once a year as they have a tendency to loosen up over time - and if they get loose enough to let the voice coil move backwards slightly the output will disappear. Ive seen this happen more than once on both their comp and coax 8" units.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 7:42pm
Thanks csg. I will bear in mind the servisol no 10 etc for future reference.

Yes, they are all BMS drivers, Tony Wilkes's personal 4 box system( F208's and F212B bins ) which he always told me had to be sealed to the baffles, otherwise they sounded awful. I will take the grills off and tighten the screws, per your suggestion and see if that does the trick. You mentioned the torque, so I was wondering if it was any specific torque figure to work to, or merely 'as tight as possible 'on the drill's torque settings without stripping the threads ? Cheers

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 8:32pm
Ian, I'd always use a hand tool for something like that, it's easier to 'feel' when things are tight, or stressed, if there's no documented torque figure to work to.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 10:10pm
yes, go with a decent philips no.2 hand screwdriver, definitely not a drill driver with a clutch. Snug to the point of just starting to compress the plastic. we now add a low strength loctite thread lock.

For the record, and probably controversially we don't, and never have, use any kind of sealing gasket on the driver. We do line-x boxes and the driver will compress the coating to the point of creating a seal, so its probably a moot point.

regarding cleaning contacts, and using any solvent cleaner, for me its always a quick fix, never a solution. Ive never needed to use any kind of cleaning agent on speakons or xlr's - that said we do have an approx 3-4 year replacement cycle on all cables, so we probably dispose of them before they start to fail.

let us know how you get on. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 10:53pm
I prefer a thin foam gasket for mounting drivers.  Monacor MDM-20 is my favourite.  Warning, the glue is very strong and there's no peeling it back off if you need to reposition!

Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:18am
Hi Guys,

Yes, the thought of using a drill/driver's clutch for tightening a nut or screw into any type of wood fills me with dread, especially if you forget to engage the clutch beforehand ! These modern drills have amazing amounts of torque. I prefer to use either a square shafted screwdriver( so you can use a spanner,if needed ) or a T handled one for anything up to 'really tight' in delicate materials.
Deoxit D5 is really good for unbalanced leads, such as guitar jacks/sockets, as they seem to suffer from excessive oxidisation. 

Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:24am
I use a loctite releasable threadlock on all my Speakons, and have done for a number of years as it stops the cable holding screws from working loose in use. 

Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 8:03am
I should be able to complete the task of getting the drivers out, tightening the screws, as suggested by csg, and putting them all back in over the next few days. Should I do the same for the bass bins, which also have BMS drivers ?

Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 8:09pm
Ok, took all the drivers out of each cab ( 2X BMS 8S215-8ohm & BMS 4524-8 OHM COMPRESSION DRIVER IN EACH ONE ), gave them a clean-up and replaced them in the cabs this afternoon. Could not get to the small PH screws, due to the horn above it. They all felt pretty tight, though. I will try them both again tomorrow afternoon, and see if they sound ok. Not replaced the compressed foam strip around the compression driver horn, but may have to do so in due course, if it is not forming an effective seal with the front baffle. Cheers :D

Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:13pm
CSG,
If BMS drivers, you may want to check the tightness of the screws holding the diaphragm onto the magnet, we torque ours around once a year as they have a tendency to loosen up over time - and if they get loose enough to let the voice coil move backwards slightly the output will disappear. Ive seen this happen more than once on both their comp and coax 8" units.
[/QUOTE]

Does the above apply to the  BMS 4524 compression driver too, please ?

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>