Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bike Trailer Sound System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarthF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Trailer Sound System
    Posted: 15 March 2024 at 4:36pm
Hi everyone !

My project is to create a 12V Sound System that would fit on a bicycle trailer. The idea would be to use this sound system during bike events organized in my city, but also outside as a stationary sound system. I'd mainly play electronic music (techno, hardcore, dubstep, drum&bass) for 10-20 people outdoors only.

Being a total novice on the subject, I started by designing a 2-way speaker (mid/bass + tweeter) with crossover and mains-powered amp. At the same time, I've been doing a lot of research into this project, and I'm starting to get a clearer idea.

Here's what I plan to do:
- 4-channel Class D amp (Pioneer GM-D8704 1200W) bridged for the sub
- 50Ah 12.8V LiFePo4 battery with integrated BMS (Eco-Worthy)
- 1x THAM12 bass/sub enclosure in 15mm plywood with The Box Speaker 12-280/8-W speaker (with the possibility of building a 2nd enclosure later)
- 2x mono mid/top speakers with mid and tweeter speakers
- 4-output DSP (t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini)
- Bike trailer (Duramaxx Mountee)

I've got a lot of unanswered questions, so if you know how to answer them or if you can advise me on alternatives to what I'm proposing, don't hesitate!

1/ I can't seem to find a mid/top speakers + enclosure that works with 1 or 2 THAM12 at a reasonable price. Do you have any suggestions? I've found:
o 18sound 8'' 2-way point source
o MTG Designs VBS-10.2 or VBS-6.2
o Line source Faital Pro 3Fe22
o Otherwise, I'd go for commercial passive speakers (such as Turbosound iP82) but I'd prefer to design a DIY enclosure.
o I can't figure out if 10" speaker would have too much power compared to the THAM12. I know I could use software to calculate volumes and vents, but it's getting complex for me...

2/ I've never used a DSP. In the software, will I be able to define low and high cutoff frequencies for each speaker? Then to do the equalization/delay etc. is it necessary to have a microphone?

3/ What type of Bluetooth receiver should I use on this type of 12V configuration without creating interference? (Isolation to avoid ground loops).

4/ In terms of connections, we agree that it would be: Sound source --(2 L&R channels)--> DSP --(4 channels)--> amp --(3 channels because 1 bridged)--> speakers with the DSP and amp powered by the battery. What protection/security elements can be added to this? I've seen that it's necessary to install an 80A fuse between the battery and the amp. What about a battery switch?

I'll keep you posted as the project progresses!

Thanks

Edited by BarthF - 15 March 2024 at 5:56pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2024 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by BarthF BarthF wrote:

Hi everyone !

My project is to create a 12V Sound System that would fit on a bicycle trailer. The idea would be to use this sound system during bike events organized in my city, but also outside as a stationary sound system. I'd mainly play electronic music (techno, hardcore, dubstep, drum&bass) for 10-20 people outdoors only.

Being a total novice on the subject, I started by designing a 2-way speaker (mid/bass + tweeter) with crossover and mains-powered amp. At the same time, I've been doing a lot of research into this project, and I'm starting to get a clearer idea.

Here's what I plan to do:
- 4-channel Class D amp (Pioneer GM-D8704 1200W) bridged for the sub
- 50Ah 12.8V LiFePo4 battery with integrated BMS (Eco-Worthy)
- 1x THAM12 bass/sub enclosure in 15mm plywood with The Box Speaker 12-280/8-W speaker (with the possibility of building a 2nd enclosure later)
- 2x mono mid/top speakers with mid and tweeter speakers
- 4-output DSP (t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini)
- Bike trailer (Duramaxx Mountee)

I've got a lot of unanswered questions, so if you know how to answer them or if you can advise me on alternatives to what I'm proposing, don't hesitate!

1/ I can't seem to find a mid/top speakers + enclosure that works with 1 or 2 THAM12 at a reasonable price. Do you have any suggestions? I've found:
o 18sound 8'' 2-way point source
o MTG Designs VBS-10.2 or VBS-6.2
o Line source Faital Pro 3Fe22
o Otherwise, I'd go for commercial passive speakers (such as Turbosound iP82) but I'd prefer to design a DIY enclosure.
o I can't figure out if 10" speaker would have too much power compared to the THAM12. I know I could use software to calculate volumes and vents, but it's getting complex for me...

2/ I've never used a DSP. In the software, will I be able to define low and high cutoff frequencies for each speaker? Then to do the equalization/delay etc. is it necessary to have a microphone?

3/ What type of Bluetooth receiver should I use on this type of 12V configuration without creating interference? (Isolation to avoid ground loops).

4/ In terms of connections, we agree that it would be: Sound source --(2 L&R channels)--> DSP --(4 channels)--> amp --(3 channels because 1 bridged)--> speakers with the DSP and amp powered by the battery. What protection/security elements can be added to this? I've seen that it's necessary to install an 80A fuse between the battery and the amp. What about a battery switch?

I'll keep you posted as the project progresses!

Thanks

I'd say you're definitely on the right track wrt amplifier and battery (although ISTR a bad report about that brand somewhere in my extensive hunting/reading about LiFePO4 batteries on the market). I've used Ultramax ones - seem to be fairly genuine.
I've heard good things about THAM12 - but watch out for the weight.

Mid-top(s) is where it gets a bit tricky. A vital factor is going to be the weight if you want em playing while you ride - and want em anywhere near head height. Likely to make the whole thing very unstable. I don't doubt that the trailer can handle the weight - but its about the weight distribution. I'd look into lightweight plastic box(es) ... something like Wharfedale Titan 8 - mebbe just a single one for riding+playing .... its 8R so you'd want to be bridging 2 channels of Pioneer amp to drive it. With car amplifiers its generally better to use 4R speakers/drivers if poss.

Be careful and be prepared to spend time devising a physical layout for the whole thing - try (hard) to keep the weight as low as possible on the trailer. 

It should be possible to make that sound pretty awesome if you get things right.

Oh yeah - my solution for powering "outboard" gear is use a separate battery :-) (Or DIY one with 4 LifePo4 cells for 12V) My baby mixer runs from a USB phone charger thingy (which also powers a BT receiver). Has worked well so far - but needs a bit of patience managing all those feckin batteries :-)

Edited by slaz - 22 March 2024 at 12:06pm
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2024 at 11:10pm
There's a great bike system down here in Aus. My mate Rik runs it... maybe check in with him for some info / tips?

https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/

.p.

Edited by Phil B - 24 March 2024 at 9:40am
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
bfbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2024 at 9:12pm
Hi. 
I Have the same Idea. 
But 
560AH 12V Lifepo4 Battery
2KW Inverter
QSC PLX 1804 for 4 Subwoofers L18S801 in Half RCF MTL1
2x Opera 512D
and a model from a Carla Cargo.
Works 15 Hours full Power :-)

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2024 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

There's a great bike system down here in Aus. https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/

Thanks for the shoutout! Embarrassed

Here are some details of my rig, just a copy/paste writeup since I'm in a rush... but will need to sit down with some time to go through your posts and reply in detail

2x Klipsch KI-102 tops (8" driver with dome tweeter on horn)
1x Midbass, an older build with Deltalite 2512 neo 12" woofer
4x Bass, freshly built with Delta 12lf 12" woofers

Pioneer GM-D9500F four channel amp running stereo tops with channels 3&4 bridged for midbass
Jaycar Response 800w mono amp running all four bass in parallel
T.Racks 4x4 DSP for processing with Yamaha MG06 mixer
100AH 12v lifepo4 Renogy battery, everything runs on 12v with no external power conversion required

Trailer is a Carla Cargo on loan from a local importer  https://dutchcargobike.com.au/pages/carla-cargo
Bike is Yuba Boda Boda "midtail" with custom parts build (including 8" brakes with sintered metal pads!)

There's ~95kg of speakers and ~30kg of amps and battery on the trailer, which is about 50kg itself
The bike is ~20kg, and I'm as heavy as the speaker stack

Getting close to 300kg rolling along thankfully the Carla rides super smooth even when loaded up so I only needed the electric assist in small bursts on inclines and standing starts... and the big discs on the Yuba as well as "over run" braking on the trailer kept it all under control

Edited by bitSmasher - 27 March 2024 at 3:43am
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
 Post Reply Post Reply