Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

`bins for eminence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madorganplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: `bins for eminence
    Posted: 19 September 2005 at 12:03pm

Hi Folks,

im new to the list and this is the story so far.

I`m in a six peice band and we have basically a Peavey system,but we blew the 350w subs and replaced the drivers with Eminence 15" Omega 800w transducers.Now,we tried a Adlib Audio system the other day and the bottom end response was amazing compared to our bins-basically,the sound from the speakers sounded like an extension of the bass drum,whereas our Hysis xt115 bins sound throttled which may mean the cabinet is too small!Has anybody got any plans for these units as i dont want to make a cabinet and find its wrong again!

Cheers

Adrian
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2005 at 6:38pm
If you're planning on going for basic reflex boxes (ie similar to the XT115) then you probably can't go far wrong with a cabinet of 100-130L tuned to 40-45 Hz.  I've built a few 15" reflex subs and anywhere in that ballpark seems to give useable results.  You're never going to get that low with a 15" sub without sacrificing efficiency and power handling but flat to 45-50Hz is acheivable.

Download yourself a copy of WinISD (google it) and simulate your particular drivers.  Once you've got a cabinet volume and tuning that works, it's a fairly simple matter to convert that into a design.  Circular ports (drainpipe) are ok, but I prefer shelf ports (ones which are effectively a slot at the bottom of the cabinet).

Hope this helps, I'm sure we can guide you towards something that will work.
madorganplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madorganplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2005 at 4:24am

Hi,thanks for your reply,so do you think i would be better flogging everything off and going for an 18" sub.

Ive heard people say that once you use an 18" you never go back to anything else!

I could build a pair of X1`s but which drivers can i use for best results?

Adrian
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2005 at 5:13am
What type of music do you play, what do you use for mid-tops and how many of the 15" Omegas do you have?   Some info on which amps you use, crossover etc might also be useful.

There's nothing wrong with 15" subs, some people prefer them because they are often more punchy than 18"s.  Also have the bonus of being smaller and lighter.

One of the problems with the Peavey bass bins is their construction; might as well be cardboard.  Build quality, especially choice of materials can make a big difference.

X1's would be a big step up, especially in size and weight but could be an option.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 3:16pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 4:41pm
Yup, probably about right.
 Post Reply Post Reply