Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blackboard jungle drivers/scoop design?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wt-club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blackboard jungle drivers/scoop design?
    Posted: 18 January 2023 at 8:56am
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any info about the scoop design Blackboard Jungle Soundsystem uses and the drivers that are in them.

I heard them at Reggae Geel 2022 and the sub sounded insane to me.
Very very loud with 3x 6 scoop setup with an insane SPL. 

Thanks in advance!
DamballaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamballaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2023 at 9:31am
Stravens scoops, think they are pd1852 loaded not sure though
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2023 at 10:51am
Originally posted by wt-club wt-club wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any info about the scoop design Blackboard Jungle Soundsystem uses and the drivers that are in them.

Thanks in advance!

Did you say, 3x 6x Scoop Stacks !?

Would have expected something like that, to actually change the weather, and generate it's own gravity, as opposed to just sounding loud.

1852s play much better in other designs, as opposed to Stravens.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2023 at 11:11am
have seen some great pics of the 3 x 6 stacks online , yh look like they moved from 50s to 52s tho on a few pics there are some round baskets too so prb trying a few drivers ( we love that )  and use a mix of k20 and x8 in there racks for bass , along side loads of qsc plx and some ffa to boot  :) , i heard them in bristol few years back  at the trinity Centre with 8 stravens with 1850s in on k20 it was one the best scoops sounding systems i have ever heard in my life and i heard rather a lot , whole system too ,right up to tops cp22s very good quality system in deed , also seen something they did recently 24 of them outside  Nuke

Edited by paulus - 18 January 2023 at 11:47am
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2023 at 11:49am
Ye i've never heard 52s sound gd in the stravens. Aba sounded better with the 50s than 52s. My friend also bought some stravens that were for the 52s but didnt play right with them. They tried few other drivers before selling the scoops on shortly after. He's a member on here and may comment himself. 
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2023 at 11:54am
yes straven  chamber is under 200mm( just )  same as ASS and Steve b also under 200mm ,no good for 52 really , I tried some in my steve b , I played less than 2 songs and they came out and 50 went back in...............again LOL

Edited by paulus - 18 January 2023 at 12:02pm
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Lidj I View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lidj I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2023 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by wt-club wt-club wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Did you say, 3x 6x Scoop Stacks !?

Would have expected something like that, to actually change the weather, and generate it's own gravity, as opposed to just sounding loud.

1852s play much better in other designs, as opposed to Stravens.

For the amount of scoops that were there, I was also not very impressed. Sound quality overall was well above par as usual, but I don't think there was that much pressure. Stravens scoops for sure, but not 52's. I think they have RCF in them, not too sure which driver.

Edited by Lidj I - 18 January 2023 at 2:57pm
...Be Still, Be Calm And Be Grateful...
DamballaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamballaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2023 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by paulus paulus wrote:

have seen some great pics of the 3 x 6 stacks online , yh look like they moved from 50s to 52s tho on a few pics there are some round baskets too so prb trying a few drivers ( we love that )  and use a mix of k20 and x8 in there racks for bass , along side loads of qsc plx and some ffa to boot  :) , i heard them in bristol few years back  at the trinity Centre with 8 stravens with 1850s in on k20 it was one the best scoops sounding systems i have ever heard in my life and i heard rather a lot , whole system too ,right up to tops cp22s very good quality system in deed , also seen something they did recently 24 of them outside  Nuke

If I recall correctly at Geel they were using 2 X8s and an X4L to power the whole rig.
System sounded very good, especially the mid and high end, standing behind the control tower there was a serious amount of pressure during the later parts of the dance.
Still a good amount of headroom from what i could tell as the noise police is pretty strict in Belgium.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2023 at 7:10pm
My friend also tried 1 of the big boy rcf drivers which was strangled in there and chamber not deep enough you could feel the heat on the cab
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
APSUS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APSUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2023 at 1:15am
If the ASS and Steve B are 200mm, what size is considered a deep scoop?
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2023 at 8:55am
2 of the famous deep chamber scoops are over 280/300m the ASS are a fair bit under 200 then the SB then the straven just under , but rem throat gap also makes massive diff to driver behaviour and heat build up and all 3 are different 
back on subject of BJ sound after looking at the recent pics, baskets defo not PD ,

Edited by paulus - 19 January 2023 at 9:01am
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
 Post Reply Post Reply