Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bms driver suitability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnxx12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bms driver suitability
    Posted: 18 November 2017 at 7:45am

Hi. I am wanting to purchase a bms driver, probably the 4550. The manufacturer's stated sensitivity is 114db@1w/1m. Is this accurate.

I just purchased some Pyle drivers which also stated 114 db, but when i tried them out they were nowhere near, all the other stated Pyle specs were wrong and exaggarted as well.

What do you think of the bms specs are they honest.

I am wanting the bms driver for use as a high sensitivity tweeter, using a 2uf capacitor in series to fliter out the lows. It looks from the frequency response sheet that the response of this driver drops after about 4k, so is this the tweeter thing a bad idea, would i get 114db at 5k and above

Edited by johnxx12 - 18 November 2017 at 7:52am
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 8:48am
Bms specs are accurate.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 7:16pm
under speced on some models, bms are one of only a few brands that do what they claim they do. I only use bms for all my hf needs.
https://www.elements-audio.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 8:05pm
Yes - they list their xmax figures as 'true' xmax for example, which shows an amazing amount of restraint considering that, if they didn't, some of their drivers would have the highest rated excursion capacity among the major pro brands.
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 10:28pm
Pyle drivers = China JUNK...................BMS drivers = German A+.....Love the mid/hi units.
johnxx12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnxx12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 7:55am
Thanks for the replies. Would the 4550 be suitable for tweeter only duties, or would you recommened a different driver.
I am hoping that by reducing the bandwidth the driver has to handle the distortion will go down and the sensitivity should go up. Hopefully this may help to smooth out the bumpy upper frequency response noticable from the spec sheets
Nick Sasquash View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Sasquash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 8:07am
BMS 4550 is quality,  would be kinda wasted run just as 4k+ tweeters tho...  

https://operationsoundsystemrecords.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/OperationSoundSystem/

turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 9:24am
we have 4 for sale

bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by johnxx12 johnxx12 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Would the 4550 be suitable for tweeter only duties, or would you recommened a different driver.
I am hoping that by reducing the bandwidth the driver has to handle the distortion will go down and the sensitivity should go up. Hopefully this may help to smooth out the bumpy upper frequency response noticable from the spec sheets

the 4550 is designed to run as low as 900hz, so a waste playing it so high. There are better speced hf drivers from bms that run from a higher hz giving even better performance above 10k... and cheaper. ill double check a few and get back to you on a model...
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 4:56pm
I wouldn't get too hung up about sensitivity on drivers above 4k either. If the 114dB sensitivity played a role in the selection of the 4550, you shouldn't rule out a driver for only being 109 or 110dB - Your bad experience with Pyle was exceptional. They really are a pyle of...y'know.

Edited by Hemisphere - 19 November 2017 at 4:57pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

I wouldn't get too hung up about sensitivity on drivers above 4k either. If the 114dB sensitivity played a role in the selection of the 4550, you shouldn't rule out a driver for only being 109 or 110dB - Your bad experience with Pyle was exceptional. They really are a pyle of...y'know.

Clap Totally agree..
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 9:39pm
if your crossing over so high look at the 4524 or 4538

Edited by krazyneil - 19 November 2017 at 9:40pm
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>