Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bms hifi speaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten aa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bms hifi speaker
    Posted: 31 December 2017 at 1:27pm
Hi
I have some bms speakers on my hand for a very good price.
It is model 12n620 4ohm, and 12n630 8ohm.
The plan was to build af 2 way, with sub integrated at the bottom, and sealed box for the MF in a part og the sub.
HF will be horn placed on top so i can try different types. My current is JBL 2426h, with 40x90 horn. I would like to try the seos, but they are rare here in EU.
XO is bss 336 minidrive.

Is those to speakers a good match?

Regards
Morten
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2017 at 1:49pm
So you're getting 2x n620 4ohm and 2x n630 8ohm and want to build a stereo pair with the n630 on sub, the n620 on mids and the JBL on tops? Should sound good, but that's a three way not a two way.

The two BMS speakers will definitely sound good together, they're both optimised for complementary frequency bands and more or less everything from BMS is at least 'good', if not great. They might not be a typical choice for hifi, but if you like it loud as well as high quality, and you've got the amp power to drive them (several hundred watts per channel) then you'll get a good amount of room-shaking bass in a home hifi environment from the n630.

That's probably the main downside with these drivers for hifi use. If you don't like it loud and you rarely play them loud then you won't be getting close to their potential, and you could end up with an unnecessarily large box for your application, especially if you want anything in the 25-40Hz region.

Try your current CD and horn combo with them, if you like it there's no need to change - no need to put yourself further out of pocket until you've tried it.

Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Morten aa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten aa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2017 at 2:06pm
Yes, 2 sets of each.
The LF will be around 60-80l portet, and the MF in 10-20l sealed.
XO around 100Hz and 1000Hz give or take.
Correct i Will try my current horn, the seos project looks just so nice. Sadly not very common here.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2017 at 2:20pm
It should be good, but you must 3 amp them, or you could make a passive crossover between the 620 and the HF and do it bi amp. 
630 is considerably less sensitive then the 620, so biamp is absolute must. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 12:11pm
I run the 8ohm version of the 12n620 for my mids. Seems pretty good. 4ohm is very sensible too for small rigs and hifi. The box volume looks about right for the 620. Performing well in boxes that look too small to possibly work is that drivers magic trick.
Don't test the champignon sound
Morten aa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten aa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 1:07pm
Hi Meat
Great to hear, i think i will proceed with my project.
 Post Reply Post Reply