Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ingonyama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ingonyama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 6:18pm
Good evening,

Allow me to introduce ourselves, a father and son (12), both of whom are DIY-speaker-newbies based in Europe.

Background:

Whilst our son's Christmas wish was for a wireless, portable speaker system, he also has to plan, document and build a DIY project for school next quarter. After a discussion, we decided to rise to the challenge to combine the two: out-build - if possible - the "big brands", whilst learning, having fun and delivering a great school project, which he'll be able to enjoy for many years to come!

And so the research started, some months ago, to find the right design. We soon came across the Boominator (alas, too large) and then the Boominator Mini in this forum. We have learned so much and would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation and special thanks to the initiator, Saturnus, and the many contributors whose knowledge, build experiences and insight have helped us and so many before us. We read about the Aura NS6-, then the Aura 525- and ultimately the Monacor-versions, saddened though that the latter version has disappointed due to a component quality decline.

Status quo:
After our initial dismay (would we have to find a completely different project?), we searched and finally sourced a set of "525"-woofers, which are now on their way to us. In parallel, we look forward to receiving the other components from Accusafe shortly.

What we need:
Over the last few days, "mr. d", who was fortunate to have sourced the original NS6 drivers, has been pointed to working plans for that build by kind community members.
We apologise if we have overlooked something, but there is one key missing link before we can buy wood to start our build: the plans for the "525" version. If we remember correctly, Saturnus mentioned reducing the height, width and depth of each of the two speaker housings by 2cm.

Does anyone perhaps have the Sketchup files, cut-out plans or laser cutting plans for the "525"-build?

Thank you very much - and happy holidays - to all,

Dad and Son
mr. d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by ingonyama ingonyama wrote:

Good evening,

What we need:
Over the last few days, "mr. d", who was fortunate to have sourced the original NS6 drivers, has been pointed to working plans for that build by kind community members.
We apologise if we have overlooked something, but there is one key missing link before we can buy wood to start our build: the plans for the "525" version. If we remember correctly, Saturnus mentioned reducing the height, width and depth of each of the two speaker housings by 2cm.

Does anyone perhaps have the Sketchup files, cut-out plans or laser cutting plans for the "525"-build?

Thank you very much - and happy holidays - to all,

Dad and Son

welcome ingomyada (from one newbie to another).  overlooking something on this extensive thread is totally understandable (i can't even fathom reading the entire boominator thread over on diyaudio  :-)

try this link for the 525 based design:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=c3a0d350d168fbe7ca2b4c099598736b

you may also want to try this link:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?q=boominator&backendClass=entity

i think it shows virtually every boominator sketchup file in one place for your browsing/research pleasure.

i'll edit this post with another link when i locate it (it's a picture of the dimensions located elsewhere in this thread and pretty helpful imo).

let me know if either link gets you what you want/need and good luck in your build.

Edit:  nevermind, the picture i was thinking of was for the monacor driver design.

still don't know why my links don't work (just cut and paste i guess).  also don't get the extra spacing in the post ... oh well hope it's helpful nevertheless

Edited by mr. d - 22 December 2015 at 6:48pm
nikolajbrinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikolajbrinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 8:37pm
Hi everyone.

Merry Christmas!

When talking about the AuraSound speakers - I will say this.

I recently build the Monacor version, and it lacks bass (it is small - so that is natural), but otherwise plays very well - and very loud!!! (MaxAmp).

A very nice feature with this build is the portability.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 10:39pm
The monacor version is a delightful size and is certainly quite loud. Many people will be happy with it.   That said the frequency response between 1khz and 3 kHz didn't suit my needs. I learned a lot trying to improve the sound but was not able to achieve the result I desired.   

If anyone wants to go down the SP-60 route, let me know. I have lots of parts including 4 raw drivers, the case I used for testing (including drivers), Crossover PCBs with parts, max20 amps and some flat packs.   Note, shipping outside the USA not cost effective.

Here is how I used part of a flat pack.    Not the highest or best use but it did make my daughter happy which was priceless.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 10:41pm
On a more serious note the mini boom is soooo cute:

Edited by Aterren - 22 December 2015 at 10:55pm
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 10:56pm
525 and NS6 mini's.  525 uses the discontinued Jamo tweeters.  Good sound from either configuration.  Louder and deeper bass from the NS6.

mr. d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 11:01pm
palomino, i really dig on the mini's - can't wait to finish my build.

to that end, i need to ask another question.  in preparing for my build, i've been looking back at xover discussions.  in a post on page 3, saturnus responds to a post from phaedras and suggests that the equivalent impedance in designing the xover is 8ohm from the drivers (two 16ohm in parallel) and 4ohm from the tweeters (two 6ohm in parallel.  i agree with the 8ohm number but i don't understand the 4ohm value.  the nd16fa-6 is a 6ohm speaker which, according to the spec sheet, happens to have an impedance of 6ohm at the crossover frequency of 4000hz.  that parallel impedance would be 3ohm not 4ohm.  furthermore, i think i saw a post on techtalk suggesting the impedance is in fact 2.8ohm (although i'm not sure how this value was obtained).  these numbers are clearly lower than the typical 4ohm minimum load requirement of most (if not all) amps.  what am i missing?  why is nobody having any difficulties with using the ta2020 amp and other mini amps mentioned previously herein? i'm very confused Wacko .

Edited by mr. d - 22 December 2015 at 11:05pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:52am
MD - 

Regarding amps - they reason the MaxAmp has been recommended is because it has good sound quality and sips electrons.   The dollar/euro exchange rate is favorable and I would go that route over any of the alternatives you mentioned.   From what I gather the Lepai does not have a good reputation for sound quality or reliability and uses a lot more electricity.  That said I do not have any first hand experience with them or the JBL amp you were considering so I can't help there much with more specific feedback.   If you were asking what I would do it is order the MaxAmp20 or see if gmarsh on diyaudio has any of the Wiener boards left.   I've been replacing my maxamps with the Wieners.  They are both great.

As for the impedance of ND16, don't worry about it.  :)   It may just be a typo in the original message but the bottom line is the xo works fine and the results are quite good.

Take care

Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 6:33am
Oh, one more consideration is that the choke will add 1 to 1.2 ohms to the tweeter resistance.
mr. d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 7:17am
thank you AT.
i just found the thread on diyaudio for the wiener. do you mind if i ask, based on your personal experience, what your best estimate might be for the price i should expect to pay for the amp (in usd) and for shipping (to socal)? i plan on reading up on it a bit tomorrow.

i think i'll scrap the head unit idea, but i'm gonna to give this item a close look:

http://www.amazon.com/SA-36A-TPA3118D2DAP-Digital-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B00JXCEDGS

same chip as the wiener design and a nice neat package (minus some nice bells and whistles in the wiener - from what i can tell).

hey palomino,
what size are those fan grills on your original (v1) mini?  i'm guessing 140mm for the ns6's and 40mm for the tweeters.  i really like the look of them and plan on using them in my build.  did you get them on amazon or ???

Edited by mr. d - 23 December 2015 at 7:23am
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:31pm
Coolerguys.com

That was the least expensive I found.

If you PM me with your email, I will send you any info I have.  Measurements, parts lists.  Also, if you'd like a cheap alternative amp, I used this one below.  Not Bluetooth, but you can make it fit easily into a recess panel parts express sells.

mr. d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Palomino Palomino wrote:

Coolerguys.com

That was the least expensive I found.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090229. - http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090229.html
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082101. - http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082101.html

If you PM me with your email, I will send you any info I have.  Measurements, parts lists.  Also, if you'd like a cheap alternative amp, I used this one below.  Not Bluetooth, but you can make it fit easily into a recess panel parts express sells.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-dc-TA2021-Digital-Amplifier-2ch-Audio-stereo-Power-Amp-Board-RCA--/111658385450?hash=item19ff5bc02a:g:iksAAOxy0NtTDA5 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-dc-TA2021-Digital-Amplifier-2ch-Audio-stereo-Power-Amp-Board-RCA-input-/111658385450?hash=item19ff5bc02a:g:iksAAOxy0NtTDA5~

that's what i thought.  i really like the look of them and the simplicity of mounting them.  i'm leaning (strongly) toward doing the same with my build.  thanks for the amp link - i'll check it out.

actually, i tried to pm you last night (with the question i posed).  i'm not sure how to do it - i tried the pull down menu at your username but a pm option wasn't offered.  if you educate me on how to do that, you should expect a pm from me :-)  take care and thanks for the response.

Edited by mr. d - 23 December 2015 at 7:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 102>