Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bose 802C2 Controller Frequency Response

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bose 802C2 Controller Frequency Response
    Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:15pm
I recently bought a Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive speaker management system and I wanted to use it with my Bose 802's and HD15's. I needed to know what the normal Bose 802C2 controller's frequency changes were. These are the plots (made with SMAARTlive).

No controller:

Fullrange:

Bi-Amplified Low:

Bi-Amplified High:

We used a E-MU Tracker pre|USB soundcard. The soundcard seems to be perfectly linear.

Edited by djyves - 11 September 2011 at 6:32pm
"If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough!"
DJkg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJkg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 9:47pm
It does more than act like an xover, it also does time delay and some other things. Sorry I don't have more info on this, but i've tried it before with my DRPA. Technically it works, but doesn't sound the greatest.
djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 10:05pm
Can somebody tell me what it does more,
with smaartlive i can measure timedelay so i will try.

yves
illuminate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illuminate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:18am

Don’t know about the 802C II but the 802C I’m sure is just a few op-amps to provide massive gain boost around about the frequencies you have discovered. It is also an x-over for adding the 302 “subs” and a good source for noise, distortion and premature amplifier clipping.

Sound is analogue, get over it!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 1:40am
Yes the controller attempts to correct for all the shortcomings of the physical box design. RIDICULOUS way to build a soundsystem if you ask me. As you can see the 802 only really responds between 400 and 4000Hz. Outside that range it's mostly EQ you are hearing!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
illuminate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illuminate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 1:59am
That's why to top end sounds scratchy and the bass is boomy and prone to feedback. Can you tell I've worked with these things once too often?
Sound is analogue, get over it!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 4:26am
Crown had a Bose EQ module(PIP-BEQ) for the old amps , the reference manual shows the correction curves for several speaker models including the 802.. http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/k80780.pdf
djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Crown had a Bose EQ module(PIP-BEQ) for the old amps , the reference manual shows the correction curves for several speaker models including the 802.. http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/k80780.pdf

thanks for that
Guy Johnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Yes the controller attempts to correct for all the shortcomings of the physical box design. RIDICULOUS way to build a soundsystem if you ask me. As you can see the 802 only really responds between 400 and 4000Hz. Outside that range it's mostly EQ you are hearing!
I disagree. The speakers and controller are a package. The 802s on their own Are Not The System. If nowadays there was an 802 with amp / EQ inside it, no-one would complain.

I ran 802s for a while 600w each, they were great. Treated with respect for their design, they put out very good, musical material, whether quiet, or very loud... But with kick-drum and more bass, you need subs and x-over, obviously. 

The bass feedback problems mentioned are due to the lower bass-response of the 802 compared with a standard '15-and-horn' — coupled with the the omni-directionality of that lower bass. 

The 802 has its uses, especially with really close-up work, where the 802s wide dispersion and sounding good close-up are needed ... where for instance, a standard '12 (or especially 15) and Horn' design will never sound right. 

My only complaint about the sound would be the lack of the very highest frequencies, but at least the highs are not hyped and 'horny' sounding.

Edited by Guy Johnson - 14 March 2010 at 4:39pm
djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Guy Johnson Guy Johnson wrote:

The speakers and controller are a package. The 802s on their own Are Not The System. If nowadays there was an 802 with amp / EQ inside it, no-one would complain.

true,
I power them with 380w on a dynacord s1200 and some hd 15s and i think it sounds good, the only problem for me is that the hds dont go verry low
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:14pm
Many powered speakers need a DSP to tailor their response, you have good parametric EQ on the Behringer so shouldn't be too difficult to get a nice flat response from the 802's with a bit of experimentation.

Alot of people still like the 802 sound!
Kevin

North Staffordshire

djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 7:36pm
I like the sound of the 802s, and with a bit eq'ing it sounds quite good it can be done better so i'll keep trying to make it better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>