Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BPH subwoofer - driver to match

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BPH subwoofer - driver to match
    Posted: 22 March 2016 at 6:03am
Hi everyone,
I am building a new band pass horn and in trying to find a good driver for it.
For first i would like to say that is will be used more as midbass, for around 80 - 180 hz band, but also as subwoofer from around 40 to 180 hz. The horn is around 1.3 m long, The rear closed chamber is 95 lt. It is loaded with a 15" wooferm i would like to get a reactive kick and i would like to not waste money on driver with extra xmax and power.
B&C is my brand. My in budget drivers (from lower price to higher) are:

15PZB100
15TBX100
15NBX100

I would like to get any kind of advice!!
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 8:34am
Hey ,i swapped out pzb for tbx in es18 for practical reasons. The difference in sound is obvious ,pzb much faster sharper kick but the sound is thinner as you would expect. I prefer tbx although some would say its a waste to put it in a bph. This should translate to 15s . And the nbx is just a neo tbx i think...
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 5:45pm
imo it depends a lot on taste.. some like it more punchy/thin, other warm/fat..
lower Qts plays "faster"/"tighter".. around 0.28-0.31 seems a good balance to me.

LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 8:30pm
I tryed now a 15PS100 and The sound was so High and like distorted on that terribiles frequencies.

Maybe to have a minor Vas and an higher qts could help me.. Any advice?

The project is an half HB1502B1, but it is a little larger, so not exactly half The lenght but a little more.

15PS100 without insulation inside The chamber sounds horrible to me, that typical High freq "rumbling" distorsion on higher freqs. My cut is 180 hz and 80 hz below.

Edited by LeruSound - 05 April 2016 at 9:01pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:29pm
look at the b&c 15ndl76 if it has to be a bnc driver.
https://www.elements-audio.com
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:31pm
you could be crossing over two high, if all the drivers you are testing so distorted at 180hz, maybe the box cant do 180hz.... try 150hz and see how it sounds.
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:33pm
i will try, but thee problem is that i'm using fixed frequencies crossover, and i play with MT121 upon them, so 180 is a good compromise, maybe 160 could be better yeah... What about the driver in your opinion? 
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:37pm
there is a few, depends on budget, the mt121 will play down to 150hz with a bit of eq...

defo sounds like your cab is choking on the higher frequencys, if you cant get it to play higher, then you may need to make changes to the design. smaller front chamber helps a bph play higher...
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:43pm
Yeah, itnis chocking... I will show you The design..
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:49pm
It is 574 mm Deep..

Edited by LeruSound - 05 April 2016 at 9:52pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 10:31pm
ok that's not a bph, that's a short front loaded horn, it wont go higher than 150hz, no amount of modding will get it higher.

a BPH has 2 chambers front and back, look at the es18 bph design, down scale it to a 15" you wont be far off what you need.
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 10:59pm
U think so? So i will try to go down to 160 hz as i planned to do. Hope that with a good work of eq without go heavy on mt lowers could be The first step. What about The rest? I saw this cab got a resonance around 150 hz, wich driver should i choose? Higher BL enphasizes that resonance but give me better basses. Maybe i could stay where i am with Qts (0.31 0.33), try to rise The qms as possibile, stay with a medium BL that gives me enough strongness to drive that short horn ( 22 24). What about a good Vas for a 94 lt of this BpH? I think to stay stiffer (100 120) and fill The chamber with dacron, could it be a good move for what i'm looking for? Es18 is a kinda horn which i really like, but i would like to get more impact, i thought this hb15 could have been a in a good stance.

Edited by LeruSound - 05 April 2016 at 11:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>