Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BPM 2018...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BPM 2018...
    Posted: 19 October 2018 at 6:47pm
Anyone going down, I will probably visit Sunday and check out the sound experience, will be interest to see how it goes in its new mini version...

Cheers,

Dupe...
Dupe...
Soundscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 8:10pm
I'm going on Sunday specifically for the sound experience and am particularly interested in hearing 
Celto Acoustique's products - for possible use in live sound/bands/meetings & AV work etc.

Cheers,

Steve / Soundscape
Abbey Audio
Nottingham

AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 9:12pm
I keep getting the emails. Anyone know what is going on with the change of direction, has someone just bought the email database?
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by AM55 AM55 wrote:

I keep getting the emails. Anyone know what is going on with the change of direction, has someone just bought the email database?

The 'original' BPM went bust after 2017s event. The 'new' BPM is supposedly taking it back to grass roots mobile DJing and is (supposedly) not aimed at the larger events anymore. Good question about the e-mail database, I would assume yes, as Ive been getting them as well!

Almost worthwhile going to see what the Bishop Sound stuff sounds like Tongue
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

The 'original' BPM went bust after 2017s event. The 'new' BPM is supposedly taking it back to grass roots mobile DJing and is (supposedly) not aimed at the larger events anymore. Good question about the e-mail database, I would assume yes, as Ive been getting them as well!

Almost worthwhile going to see what the Bishop Sound stuff sounds like Tongue

Hmm, targetted at mobiles then.  'Cos no mobiles work Saturdays do they LOL  ??

Me, just finished a Sat kids party (hey!  it's money and easy) and luckily tonight's gig is in the same place, but no chance of getting up to Brum or close by and back.  Tomorrow my Sun gig starts at 7pm and I shall really need some sleep after tonight - so no chance of getting up to BPM and even spending an hour there before coming back down the M5.

So as I said, aimed at mobile DJs, but timed so that the ones that actually work don't have the time to get there - so exhibitors will mostlikely have a heap of tyre-kickers, wannabes and those (the important ones) with a day job and money to spare on the bargains being offered.

Adding monday (not Friday thanx) would make it accessible to working DJs.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 20 October 2018 at 5:07pm
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Hmm, targetted at mobiles then.  'Cos no mobiles work Saturdays do they LOL  ??
Adding monday (not Friday thanx) would make it accessible to working DJs.

From what Ive seen, they are looking into a Monday option for next year, this years event was a bit rushed and therefore had to be on Sat/Sun (gleaning this from Facebook posts)

Originally posted by Soundscape Soundscape wrote:

I'm going on Sunday specifically for the sound experience and am particularly interested in hearing 
Celto Acoustique's products - for possible use in live sound/bands/meetings & AV work etc.

Did you go Steve, any feedback on the sound experience? 
I had thought about going today, but ended up listening to 2BadMice & Rhodsey last night very local to me, so an early start didnt happen LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 9:04pm
Yep, I went to the BPM show on Sunday and had a listen to various systems in the sound experience room. Each system provider was given 10/15 minutes to demo their products. Mostly familiar material was played e.g. Michael Jackson
Bishopsound's products were pretty fair and definitely offer good value.

FBT's products definitely delivered, especially the single 30" sub (yes I did say 30") - impressive output I thought.

QTX were almost on a par with FBT's products, IMHO there wasn't much difference between them.

Turbosound - what were they thinking.....? An electronic drum kit was plugged into their system. The guy playing it seemed to be enjoying himself but although the volume level was well up I don't think it provided a good demo.

db tech's products sounded rather good, especially considering the very compact mid-top units they have - great for smaller gigs, meetings & general AV levels. Not to be used, nor intended for 'concert systems' even in multiples.

Peavey had just 1 mid top (with 1 x 15" & a ribbon driver) plus a 2 x 15 sub. It worked ok but just didn't deliver the clarity I was hoping it might... rather 'thin' sounding I thought and no pun intended about the ribbon either.

Celto Acoustique - I'm already aware of them through Arthur G on this forum but hadn't heard any of their products before. Great setup with 3 different systems to demo (driven by a tasty rack of 6 Powersoft amps):
1. Ifix - a pair of these boxes with 8" coaxial drivers for mid top & 4 matching 'subs' with 13" drivers. Ideal for bar & pub installs where the levels don't need to be very high but still deliver enough output.
2. 1 x 12" + horn, pole mounted onto a 1 x 18" - pretty standard arrangement and this combo is offered by several suppliers. It worked well too.
3. 1 x 15" + horn, free standing on 2 x 2 x 18" subs (this setup on each side of the their demo area).
Very powerful and 'clean sounding' to my ears - I liked these.

I can't comment on HK Audio or Avente as I didn't have time to listen to their products.
Some of the playback material used by a few demonstrator systems was far too bass heavy IMHO or, the EQ had been altered to emphasise the bass - by too much I thought. Balance is best I believe, not excess.

Hope this gives some impression of my visit - feel free to ask questions if you wish.

Cheers,

Steve / Soundscape

Edited by Soundscape - 21 October 2018 at 9:05pm
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 9:55pm
Are you mixing up FBT and DAS with the 30” sub?
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 5:51am

Celto Acoustique - I'm already aware of them through Arthur G on this forum but hadn't heard any of their products before. Great setup with 3 different systems to demo (driven by a tasty rack of 6 Powersoft amps):
1. Ifix - a pair of these boxes with 8" coaxial drivers for mid top & 4 matching 'subs' with 13" drivers. Ideal for bar & pub installs where the levels don't need to be very high but still deliver enough output.
2. 1 x 12" + horn, pole mounted onto a 1 x 18" - pretty standard arrangement and this combo is offered by several suppliers. It worked well too.
3. 1 x 15" + horn, free standing on 2 x 2 x 18" subs (this setup on each side of the their demo area).
Very powerful and 'clean sounding' to my ears - I liked these.

Hope this gives some impression of my visit - feel free to ask questions if you wish.

Cheers,

Steve / Soundscape
Thanks Steve for your comments Clap

Some pictures for those who could not make it:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 5:26pm
Yes, I was.... sorry my mistake, it was a long day yesterday and I was tired when I got back and posted.

So, apologies to DAS who were demonstrating their 30" sub and anyone on here who I misled into thinking FBT have one Embarrassed

DAS have a wide range of products and clearly invest a lot of time and effort into their design.
The demo products (mostly active) yesterday certainly performed well and are worth considering.

Most of what I saw and heard at BPM was active not passive - Celto Acoustique products were the exception but this wasn't at all detrimental. As ever, it's horses for courses and I look for what provides quality sound at the right price for the jobs I'm doing, together with convenience and reliability.

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2018 at 10:37am

Mark Walsh's BPM shows are no more, somewhat gone a bit financially squidgey. New BPM shows, who knows?

I am sure Mark would have found some way to get himself a couple of quid out of it. Did you see the liquidators statement of accounts, pretty much everyone at PLASA 2018 had paid a deposit for October BPM, and he still owed his "Bar Bill" to NEC for the last one!

In short, he owed around £100K for the last BPM shows, he owes HMRC PAYE and VAT £29K, had taken £150K of deposits for exhibitors for the next BPM - adds up to around just under £400K that "isn't available".

Accounts on Companies house for Marked Events Ltd - 06011967 - fist document Statement of Affairs (link opens the .pdf) Last page is all those who paid for this years show...

And then he had the balls to be walking around PLASA. I think what annoyed most creditors, was his facebook posts of him on holiday in Sth France with Family, immediately afterwards.

I have always thought Mark was a nice bloke, since when we first knew him as a rep, and then when he started BPM. Business is business, but takes some bravado to be walking around a room of your creditors after recently going very bust.

So in short, original BPM, the company behind it has gone bust. New BPM over weekend is a wholly unrelated entity, who may or may not have got the mailing list.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2018 at 1:05pm

Most of what I saw and heard at BPM was active not passive - Celto Acoustique products were the exception but this wasn't at all detrimental. As ever, it's horses for courses and I look for what provides quality sound at the right price for the jobs I'm doing, together with convenience and reliability.
Steve,

You're right, everybody is doing active cabs and not me. Despite the fact that I have some active stuff on the pipe (far away from release), this is dicted by market demand, not by technical requirement. In fact, I think that a speaker is the most stupid place where to put alectronics inside. Whatever you do (except if you build your cabinet in concert or stone Tongue) you end up with dry soldering joints due to vibrations...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>