Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breaking in drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 7 minutes ago at 12:02pm
So you were born in 1980(ref members profile) and you list above that you had paid work in this business from 1982---That makes you a two year old getting paid work in New York---I am truly amazed!!!!!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 49 minutes ago at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

So you were born in 1980(ref members profile) and you list above that you had paid work in this business from 1982---That makes you a two year old getting paid work in New York---I am truly amazed!!!!!

I am GenerationX (1970). I must of made an error in my profile.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 46 minutes ago at 12:23pm
So you had your first job when you were 12? Gosh,im very impressed, at age 12 i was washing cars for pocket money. 
Be seeing you.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 38 minutes ago at 12:31pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

So you had your first job when you were 12? Gosh,im very impressed, at age 12 i was washing cars for pocket money. 

My best friends birthday party LOL

We borrowed an upstairs neighbour stereo and played in the basement in a private house. I got 20.00 for playing. That was a lot of money for a 12 year old in the 1980s.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
smitske96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 25 minutes ago at 12:44pm
Regarding the breaking in.

What do you see when when you break them in for let's say 1 hour.
Then let it rest for a day, then again measure parameters. If TS parameters are back at when bought new, i would say breaking them in is pretty useless for normal use. 
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 15 minutes ago at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

I am GenerationX (1970). I must of made an error in my profile.

Best Regards,

LOLLOLLOL
 And you were a paid sound man from the age of twelve LOLLOLLOL
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 12 minutes ago at 12:57pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Okay, ask yourself this... Why am I breaking in the driver? 

If its to get it nearer to the correct TS for testing then go ahead. 

If it's to check that it works and is in good condition then just play a sine sweep starting low level and listening for distortion/rubbing.

If its because you want the system to sound perfect (driver having correct TS for cabs) from the get go then just play some music through it before your first gig. 

If it is because you think it will sound better having been run in then this will be done (if it is a thing) within half an hour of using it on a gig.

If you think it will be damaged by not "breaking it in" then this is nonsense. If you are still in anyway worried, set you limiters well, have good gain structure and don't spank it for the first half hour.

Job done. Anxiety over.  

Basically, stick it in a cab, play some music and enjoy.... 

This was what I was going to write, so +1!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic