Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bridge Query

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bridge Query
    Posted: 27 September 2017 at 4:42pm
Where's the confounded bridge?

Only joking......

I have a Studiomaster AX3500, I use it in stereo, connecting each channel to an 8 ohm speaker, which gives me 710 watts per channel, i.e., each speaker draws 710 watts from the single channel to which it is connected.

According to the user manual, the amp will run bridged at 2900 watts into 4 ohms. So can I bridge the amp, link the two speakers in parallel, and connect one of them to the bridged amp channel in order to deliver 1450 watts to each speaker?
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 5:02pm
Yep - exactly like that
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 9:24pm
Thank you very much.

Just to make sure that I get this right:

In bridge mode, I have to use a cable that is wired up differently, specifically Pin 1+ = +, Pin 2+ = -, instead of the usual Pin 1+ = +, Pin 1- = -, I have two questions:

1. Should the cable be wired the same at the speaker end too? i.e. Pin 1+ = +, Pin 2+ = - ?

2. The cable that I link the speakers with, should that be a 'normal' Pin 1+ = +, Pin 1- = - at both ends? Or should I use a diffrently wired 'bridge mode' cable to link them?

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 9:33pm
No speaker box terminal doesnt change.
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 9:56pm
Thank you.

So in bridged mode the cable's amp terminal is wired Pin 1+ = +, Pin 2+ = - and the other end of the cable, the speaker terminal, is wired Pin 1+ = +, Pin 1- = - ?
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 10:07pm
Depends on amp.
Depends on speaker box But on speaker box side you can be almost sure 1+ 1- is connected if its 1 terminal on 1 speaker.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 10:39pm
In bridge mode, it converts your two channel amplifier into a bigger single channel amplifier. The output is therefore 'bridging' the two channels by being connected to the positive output on both.

I would recommend you make a short adaptor cable to go from the output of the amp to a Speakon socket for the purposes of bridging, rather than have a special cable.
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 12:25am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

...I would recommend you make a short adaptor cable to go from the output of the amp to a Speakon socket for the purposes of bridging, rather than have a special cable.

Good call!

Again, just to confirm, The adaptor cable should be wired:

(Male amp end) Pin 1+ = + to (female adaptor end) Pin 1+ = +

(Male amp end) Pin 2+ = - to (female adaptor end) Pin 1- = -

Is that correct?
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 3:47am
Love it!! Keep using bridge. Keep blowing the coils> Keep us reconers busy!!!!!! I have customers that run more than 4 times the rated power into their speakers at full bore all night....boom. I needed more headroom!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ They stand there and tell Me they must need more power.....while I try to pull the melted coil out of the magnet gap. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ They need more speakers not more power to each speaker, VECTORSONICS
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 9:52am
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

Love it!! Keep using bridge. Keep blowing the coils> Keep us reconers busy!!!!!! I have customers that run more than 4 times the rated power into their speakers at full bore all night....boom. I needed more headroom!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ They stand there and tell Me they must need more power.....while I try to pull the melted coil out of the magnet gap. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ They need more speakers not more power to each speaker, VECTORSONICS

Did ye aye?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

Did ye aye?

Is he advocating no head room and running amps to thier power limits so the amp blows be for the driver dies?

Edited by mini-mad - 28 September 2017 at 11:08am
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

Did ye aye?

Is he advocating no head room and running amps to thier power limits so the amp blows be for the driver dies?

More speakers rather than more power is good advice, but obviously depends on the speaker - and amp. The OP hasn´t told us what speakers he´s using, so who knows, but headroom is only good if you know how to use it, not use it up!  Ouch

Edited by Earplug - 28 September 2017 at 4:30pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>