Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broadband router/filter effects on speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broadband router/filter effects on speed
    Posted: 13 August 2009 at 4:46pm
Has anyone found various models of the above to improve or adversely effect their download speed?

Will be carrying out comparisons of my trusty old Belkin, with my new router shortly.

I know most routers are running Linux/Debian or something similiar these day's, but underlying hardware is of course important.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

my trusty old Belkin

bluuuughhh! Belkin, horrid things.... I'm quite frankly suprised you use one being in the trade your in! (or are you talking about the filter?)

I don't think you will find any difference between different ADSL filters... If you do I will be very suprised!!

What I do like is the linksys routers that can be flashed with a linux build... running the WiFi power at 500% = nice!!

Another little gem at the moment is hacked Virgin media modems... 20mb down 8mb up link fo FREE... loads of pages about on this if your so inclined.

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

my trusty old Belkin

bluuuughhh! Belkin, horrid things.... I'm quite frankly suprised you use one being in the trade your in! (or are you talking about the filter?)

There's a very professional reason why I am using a Belkin router.

It's was cheap, looked flash at the time, and is still working 2x years later.. LOL

Seriously, what was most important to me was NAT, MAC Filtering, Intelligent firewall, Various Wireless Encryptions etc..

Funny thing is, I NEVER use wireless at home... LOL
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:49pm
Yes. The best routers for performance on DSL Max (although they have sod all memory so fail spectacularly when you ask them to handle heavy torrenting or other services with lots of external connections) are Netgear DG834v3s but only when running the latest firmware to fix a really stupid problem with the TI-AR7 chipset in them.

They'll struggle on a 21CN based service though because they don't handle bit-swapping, but then from our testing about 80% of popular routers don't and we're struggling to get BT to say anything other than 'just use a HomeHub" (Thomson TG784 in another case)...

Older Draytek 2600s are also good on vanilla DSL and Max. Avoid a 2800 like the plague, it doesn't meet the spec for UK DSL and it will cause you to lose sync the moment your SnR changes slightly.

Belkins and Zyxels are generally pretty awful, interface and hardware wise. Zyxel were open to a dialogue about what makes a router work well in the UK at one point but it seems they filed our reports in the bin.

I'd also strongly recommend removing the faceplate of your NTE5 master socket and fitting an ADSL Nation filtered master socket faceplate:
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

That'll filter off your internal wiring, other sockets, so they can't cause interference on the DSL frequencies. You should also move any cordless phone base stations, and other RF band kit away from the router and master socket to minimise electrical interference.

You should never, ever connect your router at any form of extension, internal or otherwise if you want a stable or fast connection.

This comes from doing proper DSL diagnostics, and understanding how the whole thing works pretty in-depth for four years now. I have BT SIN documents and handbooks all over my desk at work!
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Yes. The best routers for performance on DSL Max (although they have sod all memory so fail spectacularly when you ask them to handle heavy torrenting or other services with lots of external connections) are Netgear DG834v3s but only when running the latest firmware to fix a really stupid problem with the TI-AR7 chipset in them.

They'll struggle on a 21CN based service though because they don't handle bit-swapping, but then from our testing about 80% of popular routers don't and we're struggling to get BT to say anything other than 'just use a HomeHub" (Thomson TG784 in another case)...

Older Draytek 2600s are also good on vanilla DSL and Max. Avoid a 2800 like the plague, it doesn't meet the spec for UK DSL and it will cause you to lose sync the moment your SnR changes slightly.

Belkins and Zyxels are generally pretty awful, interface and hardware wise. Zyxel were open to a dialogue about what makes a router work well in the UK at one point but it seems they filed our reports in the bin.

I'd also strongly recommend removing the faceplate of your NTE5 master socket and fitting an ADSL Nation filtered master socket faceplate:
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

That'll filter off your internal wiring, other sockets, so they can't cause interference on the DSL frequencies. You should also move any cordless phone base stations, and other RF band kit away from the router and master socket to minimise electrical interference.

You should never, ever connect your router at any form of extension, internal or otherwise if you want a stable or fast connection.

This comes from doing proper DSL diagnostics, and understanding how the whole thing works pretty in-depth for four years now. I have BT SIN documents and handbooks all over my desk at work!

ClapClap
Clap
illusion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 12:54pm
As this is a DIY forum - should you have an NTE5 master socket.. it should be noted that chopping the bell wire pretty much does what the adsl nation plate does - I would not usually put that out as a suggestion but as everyone on this forum enjoys opening things up.. I feel its valid :)
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by illusion illusion wrote:

As this is a DIY forum - should you have an NTE5 master socket.. it should be noted that chopping the bell wire pretty much does what the adsl nation plate does - I would not usually put that out as a suggestion but as everyone on this forum enjoys opening things up.. I feel its valid :)

No, it doesn't.

Chopping the bell wire is what the BT iPlate does, as well as being an SSFP. The ADSL Nation faceplate is just an SSFP.

You cannot do the same thing an SSFP does without some serious master socket tampering, which is a breach of your contract with BT Retail - if an engineer sees that he has the right to terminate your telephony service completely.

Homes that still have a bell wire are few and far between (BT have sold sod all iPlates!) but it can be worth checking. Star wiring is what you really want to watch out for, and that can definitely only be fixed by a BT guy.

Edited by toastyghost - 14 August 2009 at 1:14pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 1:39pm

I knew this but never took it that seriously.

So have removed extension lead between phone socket and router, at expense of longer LAN lead from router to comp.

Ran speed test again few times today, and managed to get peak download speed of 8.38Mbps, on upto 8mb line, up from 7.36Mbps yesterday. Embarrassed
illusion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 1:41pm
There was me assuming the adsl nation jobbie and the iplate were the same thing!

I stand corrected :)
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 2:19pm

I knew this but never took it that seriously.So have removed extension lead between phone socket and router, at expense of longer LAN lead from router to comp.Ran speed test again few times today, and managed to get peak download speed of 8.38Mbps, on upto 8mb line, up from 7.36Mbps yesterday. Embarrassed

It's the same principle as having really really long 1.5mm cables for your heavy bastard bass amps mate, albeit on a much smaller scale due to the power levels at play!

Using a lot of low-grade cable will seriously affect your performance, and essentially what you've just done is the equivalent of moving the amps closer to the back of the stack with some decent cables to get some more weight to the bassline

Edited by toastyghost - 14 August 2009 at 2:19pm
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 12:18pm
I strongly recommend either getting a router like the WHR-HP-G54 or WRT54G and flashing it with either Tomato or DD-WRT. Or if you want to be extra, use a dedicated pc with m0n0wall or pfsense.

I use pfsense as my main router running on an old pc. Means I can use services like vpn and qos etc
 Post Reply Post Reply