Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Budget sub build - looking for driver/plan recs!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget sub build - looking for driver/plan recs!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget sub build - looking for driver/plan recs!
    Posted: 23 March 2024 at 3:15am
Hiya, I've been putting together a (very) budget soundsytem for a while, mainly from second-hand speakers...

I recently came into possession of a lot of grade 3 (suitable for load bearing/humid conditions) OSB and am looking to build a first pair of subs.

I don't have many requirements as to sound - I already have kicks so looking for something that can go a little lower. :]

Higher SPL is priority up to a point as I'm looking to fill rooms of up to 100 people.
I have a very low budget for the speaker drivers - I'm looking to spend maximum £100 each and getting the best possible efficiency / performance out of them.

Would appreciate any matching driver suggestions also! Ideally ones that will work with the kam kca1200 amp I have [ 2 x 600W max / 2 x 300W RMS @ 4 Ohms ] I know that it will be a big limitation but its what i'm working with for now.

I only have a jigsaw and limited experience so a speaker plan with no angled cuts would be preferred - I've been curious about paraflex for this reason. I could probably find access if needed to a circular saw / other cutting tools however so would still be interested in more complex suggestions.

Also looking for general first time build / working with osb / soundsystem on a budget tips!

Thank you for any advice / thoughts!
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2024 at 7:05am
I would buy second hand drivers, 15” or 18” from a well respected brand. 
bindiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2024 at 12:09pm
Ty ! Do u have any advice for picking a driver to suit a box?
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2024 at 7:41pm
OSB and a jigsaw is not really a recipe for good joints,  i would say look out for a 2nd hand track saw, you will get a much straighter cut even with a cheapo Aldi / Lidl track saw, should be able to find one for not a lot.    

OSB is not very durable and is hard to glue as the surface is not completely flat, but if its free then i would say go for it.

If you want the max output from the minimum input power and you have free materials then i would say build some folded horns, mitred cuts are not that hard with a track saw.  It really depends on what you can find 2nd hand but you should be able to find something like 4 Fane Colossus SB 18s for about £100 each.  That amp wont fully power them but front loaded horns are very efficient and you can always upgrade the amp later.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2024 at 9:01pm
If you're short on budget and can't afford a track saw you can make a track for a standard circular saw assuming you have piece with a decent straight edge. A jigsaw is defo the wrong tool for the job, but it can be useful for doing cutouts for the drivers.

For a lot of noise on a budget I reckon you're probably looking at making THAM15s. They have a single angled cut and are fairly tolerant of a wide range of drivers.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2024 at 10:03pm
Totally agree regarding THAM 15, I've used quite a few different drivers in mine and they work really well. Also very easy to make.
blah blah blah blah blah......
Andry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2024 at 3:50pm
I second to what everyone before me said - a circular saw (handheld or table mounted) for straight cuts.
For joining the pieces try using polyurethane adhesive istead of the ordinary white PVA (wood glue) .
Driverwise, a 15" would work best in this conditions. Study the 15" projects and choose the one that you feel happier with - THAM15, MTH38, CUBO15, HD15.

Even a bass-reflex would do it you want an even easier project, but considering the amp power that you have now, I would recommend going for the most dB-efficient cabinet type.

Matter of fact, considering a £200 budget for the drivers, you could even go with 4x 12" subs, like using the Thomann 12-280/8-W drivers in THAM12, MTH30, Cubo12 style bins.
bindiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2024 at 3:31am
Thank u! Yea cheapo tracksaw seems like a shout-
Do u have any advice for finding quality second hand drivers?
bindiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2024 at 3:36am
Thank u so much for your thoughts and advice! Would u recommend the Thomann 12-280/8-W driver specifically - and for what reasons?
 Post Reply Post Reply