Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Build 2 way passive speaker for 1850 Horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Build 2 way passive speaker for 1850 Horn
    Posted: 27 October 2020 at 2:27pm
Hi all,

Any advice on what 2 way passive speakers I could build to go with 1850 Horn?

Ideally something that would have nicely defined medium and high, it's mostly for electro/techno but if it can be polyvalent it would be an advantage.

I used to build 3 ways systems in the past but I would like to have something a bit more compact.

Thanks
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2020 at 10:18pm
Really depends what you want. 

If you want something really loud and compact, maybe try the pm90/60 with the RCF ND950 rather than the BMS coaxial. 

If you want something that isn't as loud but can be used in many different situations, including on its own with out subs maybe try a 12 or 15 + 1.4 reflex cab. B&C has some new plans out, the U12 looks good to me https://www.bcspeakers.com/resources/suggested-designs

There are other options out there but these would be the first things I would look at. 

How many 1850s do you have? how many people do you plan to cover? 
garthos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 3:25am
I don't have the 1850 yet so I'm also open to alternative. 
but I got an opportunity to get 8 PD1850 at a good price so I'm thinking of what could go with it if I take it.

I had a look to the B&C suggested design, it seems interesting , I guess it would have been interesting to build the S218BP with the U12 but the amplifier cost might become too high for such sub.
Any experiences with archived B&C designed?

and for the first option you recommended , any design using those speakers to recommend?

citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 4:02am
The PM 60 and PM 90 are mid tops, they would work well above your 1850 horns. You can do a 2 way version by replacing the BMS 4594HE with an RCF ND950.

https://soundforums.net/community/threads/new-diy-mid-high-90deg-aka-pm90.11601/
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 8:01am
I have build two of the F122's from B&C, loaded with 12NW76 and DE800.
Sound very direct and clear, but do need some EQ to help them cross around 100 Hz.
garthos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2020 at 6:26am
Anyone know about this one?
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/diy-mid-hi-bms-coax-2x-12-b-c.3006048/
It seems pretty interesting, I think I would love a trapezoidal version

Edited by garthos - 29 October 2020 at 6:27am
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2020 at 7:25am
That is the PM60/90 citizensc mentioned as a reply on your first post.
Trapezoidal would be difficul in this case because you need the minimum widt of the 12" drivers in the back. You can cut of the corners, Peter Morris has done it also. I advice you to read both topics on soundforums, enough info about the designs.
garthos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2020 at 8:02am
but I guess could make it wider, to compensate the lost of volume no?
I guess need to recalculate with some software
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2020 at 8:20am
Thats not something that you can compensate, you need a minimum of 320mm in the back to accommodate the 12" drivers. Making that box trap will make it a totally different design and it will be pretty big.

Regarding subs, I would look in a different direction. Paraflex, Tapped horns would be my way to go if you have some space available. You don't need multiples to go low, you just add more cabs to go louder.

Edited by smitske96 - 29 October 2020 at 8:22am
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2020 at 9:55am
Yes you can make it trap but the build will get exponentially more difficult and some recalculations will must be done.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply