Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a rig for Drum n Bass and Dub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haderz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a rig for Drum n Bass and Dub
    Posted: 21 June 2017 at 6:24pm
Hello all, been lurking about reading posts and checking out speaker plans for some time now and I think I'm ready to start building a rig.

I'd mostly be playing outdoors for upto 200 people and the music will mostly be Drum and Bass and Dub.

https://youtu.be/FYlAtPDaiy4 (example)

What speakers plans would be best suit me? From what I've read I'm so far I'm thinking 2 18" Super Bass horns and 2 HD15's. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Any advice for mid tops aswell?

I'm willing to put some money into this system and i was thinking of something the size of this http://i.imgur.com/YyGCPXV.jpg

Thanks.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 7:32pm
Listen to other systems to get an idea of what you like or don't like. 

If all your knowledge comes from online sources, start simple. HD15s are not easy but possible for a beginner, but as a noob I wouldn't try to build superbass horns unless you are a professional carpenter. 

Rather than trying to make a biiiiig, impressive pile of speakers I would suggest to aim for quality. You would be surprised what you can do with four decent 15" or 18" reflex subs! Rigs such as the one in the picture you provided as a size reference are compiled by people that often don't know what they are doing, taking oversized touring boxes that were designed to be deployed in large quantities, and piling them in random heaps to get maximum noise. Don't take that as your reference.

I recommend you build 4 compact 15" or 18" subs with premium drivers (PD, bms, B&C, faital etc.),
and build or buy two beefy double 12" tops. 

Don't forget that you also need some decent amps to make noise. 

hope I didn't sound too negative.... Embarrassed

good luck wiht your rig!
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 10:15pm
i would take the advice, sounds good.

still i would take it as a starting point, as the required sound level for 200 people can vary and that dub and drum & bass fans always ask for more.
the size of the rig in the picture you linked and that you are willing to spend some money on the system suggest you may consider 4 x 18" scoops for your bassline, in these times most dub/d&b events (without noise restrictions) that have 200 people will see 4 x 18" scoops or other hornloaded boxes in action, and powerful amps too.
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 10:52pm
Super bass horn would be a very good option for dnb. Instead of hds you can make tops with 15" horns like xtro. Do you want to buy tops or build them?
Haderz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haderz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 11:04pm
I have some carpentry skill so I could build the tops myself :) Just depends whether building one would be cheaper than buying a pre built I guess.
Haderz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haderz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 11:07pm
Thanks for your reply! I have some skill in carpentry and have all the tools so I could build the SBH's no problem :)

What speaker plans would you recommend then for Sub/mids/tops

Cheers!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 12:02am
two things to consider for outdoors:

what power are you using? if you are running off a generator and have limited power you probably want high efficiency bass horns.

do you have noise restrictions? if so you probably want reflex as you can get the same SPL on the dance floor with less volume at a distance.
Haderz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haderz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 12:26am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

what power are you using? if you are running off a generator and have limited power you probably want high efficiency bass horns.

do you have noise restrictions? if so you probably want reflex as you can get the same SPL on the dance floor with less volume at a distance.

No restrictions and il be using a high power generators, got two 3000 watt petrol
Haderz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haderz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 12:29am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

<span ="Apple-style-span">Listen to other systems to get an idea of what you like or don't like. </span>
<span ="Apple-style-span">
</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span">If all your knowledge comes from online sources, start simple. HD15s are not easy but possible for a beginner, but as a noob I wouldn't try to build superbass horns unless you are a professional carpenter. </span>
</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span">Rather than trying to make a biiiiig, impressive pile of speakers I would suggest to aim for quality. You would be surprised what you can do with four decent 15" or 18" reflex subs! Rigs such as the one in the picture you provided as a size reference are compiled by people that often don't know what they are doing, taking oversized touring boxes that were designed to be deployed in large quantities, and piling them in random heaps to get maximum noise. Don't take that as your reference.</span>
</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span">I recommend you build 4 compact 15" or 18" subs with premium drivers (PD, bms, B&C, faital etc.),</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span">and build or buy two beefy double 12" tops. </span>
</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span">Don't forget that you also need some decent amps to make noise. </span>
</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span">hope I didn't sound too negative.... Embarrassed</span>
</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span">good luck wiht your rig!</span>

Are the X1 or G SUB good reflex designs? Or are there any others than you recommend
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 12:33am
Dont go this way for outdoor dnb.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Haderz Haderz wrote:

No restrictions and il be using a high power generators, got two 3000 watt petrol

3000W isn't that big. you would probably want to use one generator to run the sound and one to run lights and everything else.

the generator you run the sound off you will want to connect a dummy load that will draw constantly so the generator doesn't rev up when the bassline comes in.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 10:02am

Originally posted by Haderz Haderz wrote:

3000W isn't that big. you would probably want to use one generator to run the sound and one to run lights and everything else.

the generator you run the sound off you will want to connect a dummy load that will draw constantly so the generator doesn't rev up when the bassline comes in.

Would it make more sense halving everything; so half the lights and sound go on one genny and the other half goes on the other? Then one genny aint struggling with the whole bass section.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>