Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building LED cans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quantum Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building LED cans
    Posted: 13 March 2009 at 7:36pm
thinking of making a bunch of different LED cans, have been looking around then net but does anyone no of a good cheap source of high power LED's and controller.

also anyone done this have any tips adviceSmile
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 9:55pm
Luxeon LED's?
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 12:37pm
try a quick read on candlepowerforums
mainly torch enthusiasts buying and building their own, using luxeon, rebel, souel p4 emitters etc.
may be worth a read for background knowledge.
Matt at ukamp dot co dot uk
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 3:19pm
ive looked into this extensively, and for the cost of getting all the components together, you cant beat the chinese made products.

each colour needs an LED driver (like an LED dimmer channel), you need too make a compatible dmx reciever and integrate it with the driver packs, then try and squeeze it all in a can.

If you are after the brightness, ive bought cheap LED cans, taken out the LEDs they come installed with, modified the driver circuits for higher current, and installed 3w diodes instead. They now light our venue stage just as well as 300w par56's did (small stage mind you), and with all the other LED lighting mods ive done, have enough power to run a decent system in the room.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
freeytrap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freeytrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 11:21am
ginger biscuit is right chinese can knock theas out far cheeper than anyone over hear
i made a led light realy simple 500w halagon flood £5 6 couler changing gu10s £20 conecters £5
£30 for a nice couler changing flood not mega bright but lights up the decks and mixer well
freeytrap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freeytrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 11:27am
ps if you want a go at the harder way
http://www.bigclive.com/rgbflood.htm
http://www.bigclive.com/flud.htm
this is where i got the idear for the 500w flood fiting
big clive also has some nice litle led controlers
Dj Maca Roots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dj Maca Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by freeytrap freeytrap wrote:

ps if you want a go at the harder way
http://www.bigclive.com/rgbflood.htm
http://www.bigclive.com/flud.htm
this is where i got the idear for the 500w flood fiting
big clive also has some nice litle led controlers

Thanks for those links, I just learned a lot.
Good idea to use the cheep yellow flood lightsClap
Can't Stop Jah Music
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 12:03am
have a look at:

http://ultraleds.co.uk/
they have some pretty good stuff, also:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=retrieveTfg&binCount=523&Ne=4294957561&N=4294767569+4294767510
plenty to get you going there but it might not be cheap. Theres loads of DMX drivers and good LEDs on both these sites, to be honest, the main prob could be just getting good quality PCBs made but if you can do that, and box them well (love that 500w flood thing..) then its not hard.

oh and:

http://www.megaled.com/RGB_LED_Dimmer_3ch..html

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 24 March 2009 at 12:12am
Quantum Sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quantum Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 4:18pm
thanks for the advice all very useful,

I was planning on making some that were a bit different, nicely designed for more of an aesthetic value rather than the normal can's,

do you think it would be cheaper to pull apart a cheap chinese one, as i will be compleatly rebuildiong the can it's self

@ginger_biscuit how hard is it to upgrade the to a higher power?

gwarntek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwarntek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 4:38pm
Have any of you tried the LED floodlight on that bigclive site?

chrismca07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrismca07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 12:52am
could i ask why you'd want to make your own l.e.d lamps? theyr'e cheap enough to buy and surely theyll be at better quality than the ones youll build yourself? or is that me just being naive
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 2:34am
Only worth it if you want something special you can't buy off the shelf.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>