Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building my reggae ss. Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building my reggae ss. Advice
    Posted: 19 December 2020 at 5:56pm
I am building my ss and i have planned this so far. I would like to have your opinion

2 x scoops with 18" b&c 18tbx  (1200 watts rms each one)
2 x hd15  with 15" b&c 15tbx  (1000 watts rms each one )
2 x mt 121 with: 12" b&c 12tbx (1000 watts rms) and 2" b&c DE85TN (110 watts rms)

I have the following questions:

1. Amp for the scoops:  I have an offer of a Crown macrotech 3600vz for 600 usd. Not sure if it is the right price. And also, is it suitable for the scoops or the mids? It is a second hand amoliforr in good condition. 

2. Amps for the rest: I understand I need 4 amps. Is there a way to save some money bridging speakers? What amps in crown or qsc would ypu recommend? (Those are the brands most available in my place)

3. Wood. Not sure what is the total wood I need. Could some one give an idea of the total area of the wood needed? And a reference budget? 

Thanks a lot! 
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2020 at 6:37pm
MA3600 is a powerfull Amp. But you must harness the power and be a bit carefull. If you push it a bit too hard, it Will roast your drivers in a heartbeat LOL
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2020 at 11:52pm
Hi Guido, the 3600vz should be fine for your scoops.  The price is probably OK if the Amplifier is good.  Check the fan works.

You will need more amplifiers, and a LMS /crossover/preamp to run them all,  but you can run mids & tops on one amplifier, mids one channel and tops the other, at least until you have four amplifiers.

In Europe we use birch plywood or medium density fiberboard (MDF) for speakers, North America uses different plywood, don't know what you can get in Peru, try and get hardwood throughout plywood or make up panels from heavy hardwood (plywood is best).

18mm (3/4") thick birch plywood is about £50gbp / $60usd a 2400x1200mm (8'x4')sheet upwards,  MDF about half that price, but I wouldn't use it for.mobile speakers.

Two scoops use about 5 sheets (4 sheets for 2 miniscoops)
Two HD15 use about 2 sheets, (not sure, never built any).
Two MT121 use about 3 sheets

So, about 10 sheets in all.
You can use 12 or.15mm ply for the MT121 if you can find it cheaper than 18mm, but the scoops need thick wood.
Happy sawing.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 19 December 2020 at 11:53pm
Guido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2020 at 6:54pm
Thanks a lot I shen, your answer ir very helpful. 
 Post Reply Post Reply