Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Built-in speakers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christianfarrugia89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Built-in speakers
    Posted: 03 September 2018 at 1:23pm
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to sound, so here's my story -

I bought a place about 3 years ago and the previous owner had dug two 4x4 cubes into the living room walls (one on each side) as he was planning to install some wired speakers (the connections are there and everything) as part of his entertainment system.

Unfortunately it was the last thing on my mind at the time and I never asked him what exact speakers he was planning to get.

I either have to find something that fits those dimensions exactly or patch up the walls, and I'd honestly prefer the former to at least exploit the connections while I have them.

The places I went to locally (Malta) told me they're an older concept and more difficult to find, so i thought I'd come here to seek some more diverse advise on matter.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Chris
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 1:58pm
4x4 what? feet? metres? cubits? furlongs? LOL

It's rare to find a perfectly square speaker box, as that's not a good shape from an acoustic point of view. Sound waves will bounce around inside the box too much. You really want a rectangular box with different width, height and depth measurements. A curved or angled box is even better.

I guess you could put a sensibly-shaped box on the back of a baffle that fits your "4x4" openings, and fill the rest of the cavity with wool or polyester wadding. Indeed, with a little elementary woodwork you could just get any off-the-shelf speakers and mount them in such a way.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
christianfarrugia89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christianfarrugia89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:08pm
Sorry you're right - 4 by 4 inches!

The thing is, the guy had the walls cut up specifically for these cube speakers.

Say I want to look some up online, I don't look for "4" speakers", right? Because that doesn't factor in the casing. I'd need to find a product that highlights all the dimensions
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 3:11pm
maybe just for some small surround sound AV type setup?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 3:33pm
4" cube?... sound very "hifi surround sound" to me... something with a 3" driver and low power handling 10-30w. Tang band do a nice 3" driver If your up for building the box and sticking the driver in yourself

This one:

Very good response and as it's a sat speaker won't require earth shaking bass... have a look

Edited by mini-mad - 03 September 2018 at 8:26pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 4:07pm
The ones that spring to mind are the Bose Acoustimass cubes, but Ohm make the BootiQue also (may be a bit bigger than you’d like if the hole is exactly 4x4 inches).
 Post Reply Post Reply